Gibson Brands Forums

truss rod adjust

lanenyc

thanks for everyone's advice re: dry guitar.I now need to attempt truss rod adjustment.there is no action at all (flat to the fret board on high E and B string,but E.A,D string OK.will this require left turn or right turn w/allen wrench? again any suggestions /advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

thanks for everyone's advice re: dry guitar.I now need to attempt truss rod adjustment.there is no action at all (flat to the fret board on high E and B string,but E.A,D string OK.will this require left turn or right turn w/allen wrench? again any suggestions /advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

[/quote

HI, and welcome to the forum! If your guitar is dry, I might suggest that you humidify it to about 45 or 50% before adjusting the truss rod. Otherwise it will need a re-adjustment when the humidity rises to normal levels again. At that time the rule is this..."Righty Tighty--Lefty Loosie" ...Turning the truss rod to the RIGHT will Tighten the strings bringing them CLOSER to the fret board....turning the truss to the LEFT will Loosen the strings taking them further away from the fret board. Yours would require a Left turn to loosen the strings away from the fret board to stop buzzing. Use only 1/4 turn at a time and then check it. But this procedure should be done after the guitar has reached a more normal level of humidity by using a sound hole humidifier, and a hygrometer in the case. Good luck! An allen wrench is normally used... depending upon your make and model of guitar.

Don't confuse action and neck relief. The latter has to be adjusted first using the truss rod nut. Action is adjusted later through the bridge height.

In case the neck bent backwards, this is due to increased humidity, not decreased.

Archived