Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite...

cliffenstein

Great fellas ( and the occasional lady) sharing their opinions on a great brand that is overlooked mostly. À lot of knowledge around guitars in general and very friendly with it. Greetings from Belfast - St Paddy's in a cupla weeks maybe I'll upload a video to YouTube to celebrate!

I've learned so much here...

I knew NOTHING about guitars about four years ago. I knew how to play a bit from long ago, but nothing about guitars themselves. Laminate, solid wood, a setup to make the action easier? I hadn't a clue. Yep, I've learned a lot, and I figure I'm still a newbie. I think the most straightforward advice i've seen on the boards was about tuners. Somebody asked about them. The best comment was "I had a red snark. It broke. I got another one." Haha!

This site has some good people here that care about guitars, playing them, not ego-tripping on the name on the headstock like certain other sites I can name, the folks here are friendly too! I am a total newbie, having just begun to take lessons last November. I can tell you all it's a journey not for the faint of heart at times! [laugh] But, I am crawling, hoping to one day walk, then maybe jog! I have two Epiphones a ES-335 Limited Pro in Iced Tea, and a Masterbilt MCE500. I am very impressed with their quality, especially the Masterbilt. The sound of the Masterbilt is just fantastic! I got the electric first, but I think acoustic is going to be the sound I like best, We'll see, I like having the option to play both!

This site has some good people here that care about guitars, playing them, not ego-tripping on the name on the headstock like certain other sites I can name, the folks here are friendly too! I am a total newbie, having just begun to take lessons last November. I can tell you all it's a journey not for the faint of heart at times! [laugh] But, I am crawling, hoping to one day walk, then maybe jog! I have two Epiphones a ES-335 Limited Pro in Iced Tea, and a Masterbilt MCE500. I am very impressed with their quality, especially the Masterbilt. The sound of the Masterbilt is just fantastic! I got the electric first, but I think acoustic is going to be the sound I like best, We'll see, I like having the option to play both!

You've got some nice instruments to start your musical journey. All the head stock worship should be recognized for what it is...as long as you enjoy what your playing, that's what matters. I prefer a variety of guitars which I would not have been able to afford if I bought several boutique models. These Masterbilts are really really good guitars...

I'll agree with Dennis...

Also note that as far as I'm concerned, there are two major factors in the enjoyment of most decently-built guitars that few think about.

First is an appropriate "setup" with some appropriate strings for the player. For beginners I tend to prefer lighter strings in general.

Second, is that we play with joy, regardless that it's "work" to learn the lessons of music performance - and it is performance even if it's just us alone in a room or under a tree.

The #2 is a lot easier if #1 is done first.

I happen personally to be prejudiced toward the overall feel of various Gibson/Epiphone designs and proportions - and I've been quite happy with their "build."

But I'll add that IMHO after more than 50 years of playing, you folks starting out today are in a picker's paradise for general quality from the $100 instrument up into the stratosphere your cash supply might support.

m

• 1 month later...

I concur - it is a relief to know that there are so many others out there who are just as crazy as me (or is that I) about Epiphones

I agree. If I was the last man on earth, I would burn all the others for fire wood, before I touched one of my Epi's

Though I'm still a newbie here and I bet folks are still trying to figure me out I have to +1 all the comments above and the ones to come you folks seem pretty down to earth and no BS to cover the blind spots . Good place here . Great knowledge and experience .

Even though I got my Epi dr500 before coming here though it's possible I read some threads from here while researching my guitar can't remember but you all have pestering Epi for new master built guitars .

And I blame ya all lovingly for my desires on an Epi Paul but a have to the 12 string first lmao my wife hates me hahaha .

Thank you for a great forum and great people .

Ags ;)

Other guitar boards are primarily interested in discussing brands I will never be able to afford. I am a social worker in a state mental hospital...never going to be rich! LOL. Love my Masterbilt and enjoy this forum.

Archived