Gibson Brands Forums

am I going to regret it ????

bongofury

Well here's my story.... I had a 2000 gothic sg and a mint 76 reissue explorer and about 6 months ago I sold them cheap and have

been sick about it ever since.now gibson and fender upped all there prices.

so that brings me to this. I have been following posts of all the hate on the 2014's and up everyone saying 13 all the way.

so I found a left over ebony 2013 sg standard. so I put a large deposit on it.then I played it and wasn't blown away so I

found another 2013 and had them ship it in. played them both side by side still wasn't overly excited.they both sounded different.

Now by chance I go into a different guitar store and on the wall is a 2014 with mini tune. so i pick it up and love the fret over binding

love the coil taps/splits love the sound and neck I even warm up to mini tune . sales guy says I can even swap out mini tune with no damage

in future if I want. so I went back to first store and they found me a Midnight manhattan 2014. I liked the color and don't see many

like that probable wont in future either?

I have both 2013 and 2014 on hold.

does anyone have a 2014 and regret it?

any opinions or thoughts on what I should do.

and or color. one had cherry 2014 other had midnight manhattan 2014 and 2013 ebony.

thanks

bongofury

I don't own a 2014 SG but I do have a '14 LP Classic. I have played many of the '14 models over the last year and they have all been killer guitars. Fit and finnish on the 2014 line up has been perfect on every example I have personally played. I think that you can't go wrong with a '14 model. A benchmark year for Gibson quality. The manhattan blue is very cool as well!

If you have played the actual instruments you want to buy and you like them go for it. I have 3, 2014 models. 2 Melody Makers and a Led Paul Futura. They are very cool guitars. I think you should enjoy yours for a long time.

To me, the ONLY reason to buy new as opposed to used is to pick from a number of guitars which is "better".

Same with online vs from a store.

The one YOU like best is the one to get. That's going to be your best value.

Only you can make that decision, since the best way is to actually play the guitars, which you already have! I just don't see what your main question is? Are you hesitant to pick up the 2014 simply because it's a 2014, and no other reason?! Regardless of year, go with the one that speaks to you.

All the bashing of the 2014 and up scared me off

But I been trying both2013 and 2014 side by side

And love the 2014 love everything about it. Fret over binding coil taps even mini tune.. I'm a knew

Guitar player so all this stuff is gravy to me.. Makes me want to play and practice more.. Just waiting for the last 2014

To come in next week

Thanks

Bongo

All the bashing of the 2014 and up scared me off

But I been trying both2013 and 2014 side by side

And love the 2014 love everything about it. Fret over binding coil taps even mini tune.. I'm a knew

Guitar player so all this stuff is gravy to me.. Makes me want to play and practice more.. Just waiting for the last 2014

To come in next week

Thanks

Bongo

Hey Bongo-

I am a bit confused by your post here; are you put off AND waiting for a 2014? [confused]

I'm not a Gibson expert, but as a person that a friend once described as a "revolving-door-guitar buyer" I can tell you this; opinions are just that; opinions. At the end of the day, IF the guitar makes you happy, it's "right" mechanically (or can be reasonably made right), you should go for it! The rest of us ain't playing it for you; it doesn't matter, in the end, what we think about YOUR guitar.

Of course, when folks warn you away because of manufacturing defects or inherrent problems, by all means listen to founded solid advice. But just because others look down their noses at your axe doesn't make them right.

Example- in ALL the years I've been gigging, there were less than a handful of folks that played G&L guitars- me being one of them. SOME folks made fun "That ain't a 'real' Fender!" etc. BUT- when they heard the tone, saw the construction / feel / playability...it shut 'em up pretty quick! Funny- lots of folks criticized G&L as not being "true" Fenders- they are truer than CBS era or after Fenders as Leo himself founded G&L, after selling "Fender" and "Music Man"! But I digress (usually do!) [tongue]

Best wishes-let us know what you get!

Brian

i have decided to go with the 2014 sg standard i'm

just waiting for one of the very last cherry ones

to come in this week. the music store biggest chain

in canada said limited 2014's where order because of

lack of interest or customer backlash to gibson

they didn't order many. and now the price increase for 2015's

and the dollar exchange 2015's are over 2 grand {crazy}

so i got lucky and found one . just hoping not all

scratched or dinged.

post when I get it

thanks

i have decided to go with the 2014 sg standard i'm

just waiting for one of the very last cherry ones

to come in this week. the music store biggest chain

in canada said limited 2014's where order because of

lack of interest or customer backlash to gibson

they didn't order many. and now the price increase for 2015's

and the dollar exchange 2015's are over 2 grand {crazy}

so i got lucky and found one . just hoping not all

scratched or dinged.

post when I get it

thanks

Hi bongofury, hope you find 'the one' that feels right for you. Post some picks when you get your new guitar. :)

I have a 2014 SG Standard and I love it. I think the only thing people didn't like about the 2014 was the 120th inlay. I don't even notice its there most of the time, so I really don't care. Mine was bought as a body/neck only, so I can't comment on the Min-e-Tune since I installed standard tuners. I think its the 2015s that people are really hating on. I had a 2015 LP briefly and sold it due to concerns of major depreciation. I think you'll like the 2014 SG.

Archived