Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...Southern Jumbo 12 fret

Slinky1

This is the first thread I have started.

I have been patiently waiting for Gibson to release my next guitar. Not sure what it was going to be. I've been gassing for a Southern Jumbo or a twelve fret.

Well, I got both! Saw the new Southern Jumbo 12 fret at Sweetwater Friday morning. I took all of 15 seconds to think about it.

I ordered it Friday morning, and received it Saturday afternoon.

It is a little after 4am Sunday morning. Getting ready to open the box.

Wish me luck!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hesitated posting this thread. Why? I can't post pictures. I've gone as far as getting a photo bucket acount. Just can't figure out the rest. Too lazy I guess.

Anyway, I love this guitar. I have always wanted a Southern Jumbo, it was next on my list. In the last 6 months I've looked at Guild and Martin. I love both company's.

Even though I'm a Gibson guy, I looked real hard at the Guild Orpheium 12 fret, Guild D-55's, Martin HD-28's, HD-28VS, D-18s and almost got a Martin M-36.

I knew right away that this was the one for me. I noticed the specs are different on the sites of some on line dealers. The Orange label says, Southern Jumbo special. Wildwood has it being long scale, 25.5. Sweetwater shows a picture of it without the banner head stock. They also show on the web site that it has a Baggs Element pick up. This guitar has no pick up. I prefer no pick up BTW.

Dave's seems to have the proper specs. They say it has an Adirondack spruce top,1.725 nut width, 12 frets to the body,

The set up is perfect for me. Very low action,but no buzz.

Oh BTW, sweetwater's site says it has a Sitka spruce top.

I'll get back to playing, be back later.

Very sorry about no pictures.

Sal,

I looked real hard at the Jackson Browne, even at your SJ TV when you briefly had it for sale.

Dave's says the nut width is 1.725, I believe that is correct. It kind of seems a tad wider, but, I'll go with what Dave's site shows. The neck feels like my J-15.

SlimT, Wow. Sounds like a real 'future classic". I can see why you wanted those specs. Just pace yourself. Don't try to break it in all in one sitting! Do not have a Home Health nurse come over to catheterize you and put in a feeding tube!

Seriously - when I got back into guitars 10 years ago, it started with getting a beautiful new SJ200. I had callouses on my left hand - but developed painful blisters Under them! So, I had to put it down for over a week. Enjoy ! Jim

Congrats, Slinky! A very cool guitar.

To all GAS'ers: keep in mind that regular forum contributor "modoc_333" (Keith) from Bailey Brothers Music is to have the 12-fret SJ this month as well.

Slinky1- you know this guitar does not exist yet here on these pages. Hopefully, as 40Yrs has warned, too much break-in time will force some down time, during which you can give another try on posting photos. Do you have one of the smart phone devices? The pics and videos they make (and the sound recordings, as well) are quite passable. On the camera roll in the phone, there should be an icon to shoot the image to your email when the photo is displayed. Once on your pc's email, download the photo from email, hit the "upload" button on Photobucket, find the pic in your computer's downloads, drag/drop to the PhotoBucket upload image box, then click on the displayed thumbnail of the successfully uploaded image. On the right hand side of the Photobucket page, select "direct" to copy/paste your image. It's now on your 'puter's clipboard. Paste that URL in to the pop up box that appears when you hit the "insert image" button on the reply/compose tool bar here on the Gib forum. That is it. You'll breeze right through it after a few times. Give it a shot; photos really enrich a thread, and prove your new 12-fret Southern Jumbo NGD really happened!

Enjoy the new guitar-

I really like the idea of the Gibson round shoulder jumbo 12 fretters. Problem is the inn, as they say, is full so to ease my conscious I would have to sell of something to bring in anything costing over around $500. I just have nothing I am willing to part with at the moment although the Oahu Jumbo I picked up last year has largely banished the LG-2 to its case. So, never say never.

I guess I should take a break to eat. This guitar is fabulous. Knowing some people would ask about the quality control.

Excellent! I looked this thing over really well. Almost expecting to find something. Well, I did not find anything wrong.

Remember though, I am no expert. Just Slinky' s opinion.

I put the guitar through a lot in a short amount of time.I play old country style type stuff and folk. I like to "dig in" too!

This guitar is a dream for me and my style.

I have strummed aggressively, flat picked, finger picked and played with a capo, up to the fifth fret. The Southern Jumbo handled it all like a champ.

This guitar will fit right in with my J-200,J-15 and Blues King.

I don't know how others may judge my guitar. But, I love this particular Southern Jumbo Special.

SLINKY

Oh, man, indeed. This is serious. Beautiful small burst. Twelve fret tone. Nothin' like a Gibson with a bound neck. You can almost "see" the fingerboard radius and low setup. Must look away... Guitar Kryptonite...

Thanks Dan, and Slinky-

enjoy-

Slinky's guitar. Oh man. [thumbup]

photo_zpsjmgxf9ys.jpg

That is truly one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

Would someone here with 12-fret experience comment on the expected differences between a 12-fret and 14-fret version of this same guitar?

I ask because it is very similar to my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue.

Also, what is the neck shape on this guitar?

Nick, the Jackson Browne had a slightly deeper body, so too, does the Guild Orpheum 12-fret. Those tend to have deep voices. Although a side by side comparison would have to weigh those differences, and the JB 12-fret's walnut construction into the mix, a guess would have the Southern Jumbo 12-fret as being stronger in the projection dept.

The Larrivée 12-fret mentioned on Dave's "Guitar Dimensions" thread had 3/8" less of a waist, but 1/8" greater body depth than a J-45. Generally, a blockier appearance, and while always exceptions, there seems to be a correlation (inverse proportion) between size and depth of the box, and projection. In this regard, the cedar over rosewood, long-scale, 12-fret Epiphone AJ-500RC is an anomaly, and nothing short of a freak of nature.

On that guitar dimensions thread, the reason for my looking at box dimensions: 12 frets usually have the board and bridge sunk down further into the body, putting the bridge farther down into the lower bout, presumably emphasizing a lower eq, while some makers stretch the upper bout a little up towards the 12th fret, and/or a combo of the two. It would be interesting to see what Slinky's SJ measures from soundhole to the 12th fret.

So, yes, I'd love to give Slinky's SJ a spin!

Nick, the Jackson Browne had a slightly deeper body, so too, does the Guild Orpheum 12-fret. Those tend to have deep voices. Although a side by side comparison would have to weigh those differences, and the JB 12-fret's walnut construction into the mix, a guess would have the Southern Jumbo 12-fret as being stronger in the projection dept.

The Larrivée 12-fret mentioned on Dave's "Guitar Dimensions" thread had 3/8" less of a waist, but 1/8" greater body depth than a J-45. Generally, a blockier appearance, and while always exceptions, there seems to be a correlation (inverse proportion) between size and depth of the box, and projection. In this regard, the cedar over rosewood, long-scale, 12-fret Epiphone AJ-500RC is an anomaly, and nothing short of a freak of nature.

On that guitar dimensions thread, the reason for my looking at box dimensions: 12 frets usually have the board and bridge sunk down further into the body, putting the bridge farther down into the lower bout, presumably emphasizing a lower eq, while some makers stretch the upper bout a little up towards the 12th fret, and/or a combo of the two. It would be interesting to see what Slinky's SJ measures from soundhole to the 12th fret.

Based on measurements just taken on my 14-fret SJ, which has a 19-fret board like the one on Slinky's guitar, the soundhole and bridge on the 12-fretter will be shifted down the top 1 3/8" (35mm)compared to the 14-fretter with the same scale length, which I'm assuming this has (nominal 24.75").

Of course, the top bracing will have to shift along with the soundhole, which should I believe also compress the distance between the tone bars.

I'm sure that on the same body depth, shape, and materials as a "conventional" 14-fretter (SJ or J-45), the tonal response of this one is going to be significantly different. I just don't know what it's going to be like. The deeper body and different woods of the JB make it a bit of an indirect comparison, as you point out.

Thanks Dan for the big assist! I love the small burst too.

The action is very low, no buzz at all. Sounds great strummed.

Very sweet gibson tone. I cannot get over the sound. It sounds like a 12 fret Southern Jumbo should. Very smooth and rich.my wife thinks it is much louder than the J-15.

Thanks again Dan.

Slinky

Archived