Gibson Brands Forums

R9 vs Black Beauty 57 (reissue) vs production Les Paul Custom

djlee8807

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to get another Les Paul but I am having a hard time deciding between the R9, the Black Beauty (57 reissue vos), and the Les Paul Custom.

What are the differences in terms of the neck size between the three guitars? I keep reading that the black beauty has a gigantic neck profile but when I check them out on the gibson website, it says that R9 and BB57 both have early 50's rounded neck profile?

Also, what would be the major difference in the sound? Would the black beauty and the custom be more hotter sounding? and the R9 being more mellow?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

With all things being equal and they never are, the R9 should be brighter with slightly hotter pups than the R7BB. I have an R4BB and unplugged it is darke/warmer than my R8. Plugged in in it is a completely different beast having P-90/Alnico V pups vs. custom buckers.

• 1 month later...

My 3 P/U 57 BB reissue sounds different from ANY guitar I have I have a R7 standard and it compares to a R9 in tone but the solid mahogany body creates a warmer, darker sound & the 3 P/Us (57 classics) do some wierd cool things in the middle position. Its a 2000. I rarely use it with my band though cause its quite heavy & I've develped siattica over the last few years so I've resorted to SGs.

• 7 months later...

Archived