Gibson Brands Forums

ES-150D reissue. A good idea ?

Krugie_Mtl

Hi,

I am the owner of a ES-150D. I read a lot about that model, which didn't last long in the line-up.

It seems to me that its main flaw was its timing: a kind of ES-335/ES-175 hybrid in the beginning of the seventies was probably not going to be a huge seller.

But today, do you think that an ES-150D (cherry, sunburst or natural) would do better ? Another option in the ES-330, ES-390 or ES-175 category.

Personally, I could have go budget-wise for a new ES-390, but I preferred to go for a bigger body. The 150D was for me a good choice, even though the walnut finish and the 70s knobs are not the most beautiful things ever built !

Just to have your thoughts about it !

Best,

I had a walnut '69. Three things would have to change before I would consider even LOOKING at one again.

1. Get rid of the master volume knob. I hate them on any guitar.

2. Skinny necks don't belong on a Gibson.

3. The neck angle was too shallow and there was therefore not enough downward pressure on the bridge, causing the strings to pop out and sometimes generating weird noises from the dead length of string going to the tailpiece. I was so tempted to screw the trapeze tailpiece right to the top!

I had a walnut '69. Three things would have to change before I would consider even LOOKING at one again.

1. Get rid of the master volume knob. I hate them on any guitar.

2. Skinny necks don't belong on a Gibson.

3. The neck angle was too shallow and there was therefore not enough downward pressure on the bridge, causing the strings to pop out and sometimes generating weird noises from the dead length of string going to the tailpiece. I was so tempted to screw the trapeze tailpiece right to the top!

Holy... Being a little harsh , arnt you? :rolleyes:[flapper] ..I owned one. out the door it went.. . forgot all about the gretsch style look wannabe build..

I suspect the problem with this would be that it's a very niche product where the limited market is largely served by existing guitars easily findable on the used market that sell for less than the model would likely retail for as a new guitar. So you're counting on there being enough guys that desperately want one over a 175 or 335 but can't live with the neck profile of a 70s example.

Archived