Gibson Brands Forums

2014 SG Standard (hardware color opinion)

mrallroy

Hi all. I'm new here. I recently picked up a used 2014 SG Standard w/ walnut finish. I'm loving it. However. I'd like to make it unique with a few modifications. I did find a truss rod cover on Ebay with the standard "SG" on it. I really don't like the current "Etune" cover. But I've been thinking of changing the hardware on it from the silver color to gold. The Bridge, Tailpiece, pickup covers, changing out the Etune with the Kluson style tune heads and getting the same volume/tune knobs but with gold inlay instead of the silver.

So I just wanted to get some other opinions on it. I think it would look cool and different from the standard hardware while maintaining the original style. What do you folks think? This would cost $405 Canadian before service fees. I'm going to take it in for my free setup probably on the weekend so I need to decide by then.

SG14WNRC1-Finish-Shot_zpsewa8xtge.jpg

Ask yourself this, do you REALLY want gold when it just tarnishes and fades off at a fairly quick rate? All that money, which if you use genuine Gibson parts it will be $$$, to retrofit in gold for just a temporary look. Chrome lasts forever. Don't take my word for it, look at instruments with gold that have been played a while.....not so pretty anymore. YMMV

Replacing the Etuner with standard tuners is a GREAT idea though, and easily done. Plus you can sell it on ebay for at least $200 US

Hi all. I'm new here. I recently picked up a used 2014 SG Standard w/ walnut finish. I'm loving it. However. I'd like to make it unique with a few modifications. I did find a truss rod cover on Ebay with the standard "SG" on it. I really don't like the current "Etune" cover. But I've been thinking of changing the hardware on it from the silver color to gold. The Bridge, Tailpiece, pickup covers, changing out the Etune with the Kluson style tune heads and getting the same volume/tune knobs but with gold inlay instead of the silver.

So I just wanted to get some other opinions on it. I think it would look cool and different from the standard hardware while maintaining the original style. What do you folks think? This would cost $405 Canadian before service fees. I'm going to take it in for my free setup probably on the weekend so I need to decide by then.

Gold looks great with the walnut finish. I have the same guitar, but I bought it stripped from The Stratosphere and built it up myself. The gold plating will wear off, which you should definitely take into consideration. I used Gibson gold tuners on mine. Drilling the back of the headstock for regular tuners was a little stressful. You only get one chance at that!

IMG_1304_zpsg4tanpyc.jpg

20140325_200605_zpsvyhvztnv.jpg

Gold looks great with the walnut finish. I have the same guitar, but I bought it stripped from The Stratosphere and built it up myself. The gold plating will wear off, which you should definitely take into consideration. I used Gibson gold tuners on mine. Drilling the back of the headstock for regular tuners was a little stressful. You only get one chance at that!

IMG_1304_zpsg4tanpyc.jpg

20140325_200605_zpsvyhvztnv.jpg

My god that looks sexy. You also did the jack AND the scratch plate screws. It just looks amazing! Just as I imagined how mine would look like. But I never thought of the gold plating wearing off. Hmm? Decisions...

But thanks for your folks opinions. Tough choice.

Archived