Gibson Brands Forums

R8 made in 1998 or 2008?

Hotrain

Hello everyone. Could you help me to date this 1958 reissue? You can see that the case and the certification are not as the same as those used in 2008, as well as the production checklist. Also, the cover of the manual attached with the guitar used the logo 'gibson historic' instead of the 'gibson custom' with a star. Moreover, you can see that there is no pointer on the knobs. It seems like this guitar is made in 1998, but to the best of my knowledge, there was no COA in that year.

Is there anyone who can help me to date this guitar?

Thank you very much!

Here are some photos

post-71079-075953000 1425952554_thumb.jpg

post-71079-019899200 1425952564_thumb.jpg

post-71079-030999100 1425952578_thumb.jpg

The serial number font looks funny to me, yet it could be the camera angle/lighting....etc

The case graphics are correct, but in 1998, Gibson was still using a black tolex case, that had an alligator-like finish. It wasn't the smooth (er) black tolex. I believe this style case

started around 2000/2001.

COA's were not available for any R8's until early-mid 2001 and they were sporadic, at that.

Also, plain top R8's were not available in 1998, AFAIK.

Lastly check 2 things. The inlay corners should be rounded, not pointed. Pointed would indicate post 2003. Also, check the location of the truss rod cover. If it's right up against the nut, then it's pre-2002. 2002 and later, there

was a space between the bottom of the TRC and the nut.

To me this appears to be a 2008, with an older styled case.

Thank you very very very very very much..

Here is the picture of the TRC.

Can you make more comments?

Thank you again..

post-71079-098856400 1426042656_thumb.jpg

The serial number font looks funny to me, yet it could be the camera angle/lighting....etc

The case graphics are correct, but in 1998, Gibson was still using a black tolex case, that had an alligator-like finish. It wasn't the smooth (er) black tolex. I believe this style case

started around 2000/2001.

COA's were not available for any R8's until early-mid 2001 and they were sporadic, at that.

Also, plain top R8's were not available in 1998, AFAIK.

Lastly check 2 things. The inlay corners should be rounded, not pointed. Pointed would indicate post 2003. Also, check the location of the truss rod cover. If it's right up against the nut, then it's pre-2002. 2002 and later, there

was a space between the bottom of the TRC and the nut.

To me this appears to be a 2008, with an older styled case.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again..

hmmmm....interesting....a truss rod cover that is consistent with a '98, yet it's a plaintop ( or so it appears in your first photo). AFAIK, ALL '58/R8's were (what Gibson called) Figuretops. Believe me, some of the most vivid and amazing flame have been on 58's from that year!

The COA is easy to explain....those early types are easy to copy. Get the correct bond paper and a good color printer or go to STAPLES etc and bam...instant COA. Even if this had one issued, they were different in 98. But they didnt, so not even an issue.

The case is newer. As I wrote above, it should have the same graphics, but have a "grainy'er" type of tolex. Again, a CS shop case is a CS case.....no big deal and no effect on value.

Lastly, picture/lighting/angles aside, it's hard for me to be 100%, but it appears ( serial number font and TRC location) would be consistent with a 98. It's that plain top thats confusing me. Maybe check with Gibson. Maybe you could order your choice back then....I don't recall either way.

Keeps us posted.

Thank you again..

hmmmm....interesting....a truss rod cover that is consistent with a '98, yet it's a plaintop ( or so it appears in your first photo). AFAIK, ALL '58/R8's were (what Gibson called) Figuretops. Believe me, some of the most vivid and amazing flame have been on 58's from that year!

The COA is easy to explain....those early types are easy to copy. Get the correct bond paper and a good color printer or go to STAPLES etc and bam...instant COA. Even if this had one issued, they were different in 98. But they didnt, so not even an issue.

The case is newer. As I wrote above, it should have the same graphics, but have a "grainy'er" type of tolex. Again, a CS shop case is a CS case.....no big deal and no effect on value.

Lastly, picture/lighting/angles aside, it's hard for me to be 100%, but it appears ( serial number font and TRC location) would be consistent with a 98. It's that plain top thats confusing me. Maybe check with Gibson. Maybe you could order your choice back then....I don't recall either way.

Keeps us posted.

EDIT**** okay I checked with 2 Historic owner friends and yes, plaintops available in '98. I would say yours is a 98. I hope this helps you sleep better now...lol

• 2 months later...

We never heard a follow up about the fretboard inlay corners. Are they sharp or rounded. If this is in fact a '98, they would be rounded. A 2008 build would have sharp cornered inlays. Also, it seems the serial number would be consistent with a '98 only because it's fairly low, in the 300s. I realize there would be a 2008 build with the exact same serial number but you wouldn't find a '98 build with a very high serial number like say 8 81204 because back in '98 Gibson just wasn't making those kinds of numbers of reissues, yet.

The key is in the fretboard inlays... :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just bought a 2007 model, it came in a different case to this one, but had the same type of certificate.

I'm curious about the pickguard, why is it such a bad fit? Also the truss rod cover couldn't be any closer to the nut... surely?

I also think it would be interesting to see a close up of the fretboard inlays.

My '57 Reissue was bought from an established dealer that had been trading since the sixties, they told me that it was a 1997 model, I posted it here only to be told that everything pointed to a 2007 model. This didn't matter to me, I think the guitar is wonderful, but it just shows that even established guitar shops can get it wrong.

Mine was dated by the certificate, case and of course the fretboard inlays, perhaps the truss rod cover too. One thought that goes through your mind when buying an expensive secondhand guitar is it's authenticity; no one wants to spend a lot of money on a copy.

Hotrain, please post some more pictures, especially of the fretboard inlays :)

• 1 month later...

Archived