Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Fret Wear

guitarzan55

I have a 2011 ES-339. I've had it exactly four years. Lately the high e and b strings sound tinny up high, almost like a sitar. My guitar tech says my frets are worn out and need replacement; that the worn frets are causing a back bend in the neck. Isnt four years a little early for frets to wear down? (I only play an hour or two a day). Also, shouldn't I try to have the frets leveled out before a full blown replacement? Can anything else be causing the tinny sound of the e and b strings up high (10th fret and up). I would really appreciate some input and advice from you all.

Frets causing a back bend in the neck? What???? Sounds more like you need a neck adjustment. What frets are worn? It would look pretty obvious by looking at them, as they will be pitted/ groved in. Yes, if they are worn, I Would do a fret dress first, especially given the age of the instrument.

I would get a second opinion from another luthier.

... that the worn frets are causing a back bend in the neck.

Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.

Frets causing a back bend in the neck? What???? Sounds more like you need a neck adjustment. ...

I would get a second opinion from another luthier.

Agree. Definitely a thing of neck relief and possibly action.

This luthier would never get to see any of my guitars again.

I have a 2011 ES-339. I've had it exactly four years. Lately the high e and b strings sound tinny up high, almost like a sitar. My guitar tech says my frets are worn out and need replacement; that the worn frets are causing a back bend in the neck.

I also have a 2011 339 but probably do not play any guitar as much as you do. I do know some pro players that have not worn through the frets on a 339 playing for over 6 years. Fret wear can never cause a neck to back bend, as the others have already posted. Maybe the tech said you have worn frets and a back bend. Anyway, find a luthier/tech that knows how to adjust your neck and inspect the frets. Adjusting the neck properly may be the answer.

I wouldn't bash a tech just yet, because often the average guy doesn't know what a tech is actually telling them. (It's a matter of communication).

Fret dress, yes or maybe. You can do many fret dressings before there is not enough fret left, THEN you get the frets replaced.

Wear on frets if you mostly play in the middle of the neck CAN cause them to wear more, thus making them slightly lower than the heel, but still, THAT issue would lead to a neck/action adjustment. Doing fret work before an adjustment is a little extreme.

If you have notes fretting out on the upper frets toward the heel, that is an indication you have too much bow in the neck. Straighten the neck slightly, (which will cause the action to get lower), then raise the bridge slightly to compensate. This will have the effect of raising the action at the upper frets while keeping the rest of the action the same.

Just another note here, it is more common for a guitar that is 4 years old or so to need a neck adjustment than it is fret work.

These are suggestions, and guesses. There is no way to know what a guitar needs over the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful comments. My frets are pitted or have a groove in several. It looks very slight to me. I had to hold the guitar under a bright light and literally eye ball it up to see them. I do know that my Luthier said that the guitar was very hard to intonate and the angle of my neck is bending way back and the bridge was brought way up. It looks like **** (excuse my French). I am getting another opinion - I just have to make sure the second guy knows Gibsons - bad advice on top of bad repair would not be good.

I also have a 2011 339 but probably do not play any guitar as much as you do. I do know some pro players that have not worn through the frets on a 339 playing for over 6 years. Fret wear can never cause a neck to back bend, as the others have already posted. Maybe the tech said you have worn frets and a back bend. Anyway, find a luthier/tech that knows how to adjust your neck and inspect the frets. Adjusting the neck properly may be the answer.

I think your right - I must have heard him wrong - I'm getting another opinion.

I wouldn't bash a tech just yet, because often the average guy doesn't know what a tech is actually telling them. (It's a matter of communication).

Fret dress, yes or maybe. You can do many fret dressings before there is not enough fret left, THEN you get the frets replaced.

Wear on frets if you mostly play in the middle of the neck CAN cause them to wear more, thus making them slightly lower than the heel, but still, THAT issue would lead to a neck/action adjustment. Doing fret work before an adjustment is a little extreme.

If you have notes fretting out on the upper frets toward the heel, that is an indication you have too much bow in the neck. Straighten the neck slightly, (which will cause the action to get lower), then raise the bridge slightly to compensate. This will have the effect of raising the action at the upper frets while keeping the rest of the action the same.

Just another note here, it is more common for a guitar that is 4 years old or so to need a neck adjustment than it is fret work.

These are suggestions, and guesses. There is no way to know what a guitar needs over the internet.

thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Archived