Gibson Brands Forums

1987 Les Paul Studio? Maybe?

Hello. I am going to post a few pics of my new acquisition. If I need to open some of the wiring compartments for photos, I will be happy to do so soon. This was a pawn shop special, bought for $400, as a gift to me, and I am interested to know what you guys think about it.

Being a pawn shop guitar, I know absolutely nothing about its history [confused]

The Serial is visible in one of the photos, and is 83427561.

Things that I find strange - dot inlays, stamped (not engraved) serial, definitely not original pups, natural finish, and the tuners (sure I missed some stuff though)

Now for the pics:

2015_03_08_16_01_46.jpg

2015_03_09_17_18_20.jpg

2015_03_09_17_18_40.jpg

2015_03_09_17_19_08.jpg

2015_03_09_17_19_16.jpg

2015_03_09_17_19_23.jpg

D28, That is a beautiful specimen, congrats!! We can have shared birthday parties [cool]

Thanks for the reply Bence, but I think the Smartwoods, from my limited knowledge, weren't produced until the 2000's.

Well, we shall see....I'm still digging on the interwebs...

[biggrin] Now that's funny. I wasn't sure from your first line of pics, but now it seems clear to me that this guitar had a solid white finish stock. This would explain everything, maple neck, excentric seam on the top, also serial number, cavities, and trace along the fretboard left white, and finally the unusual natural satin surface.

Sorry for posting so late, but I honestly didn't feel sure enough up to now. [rolleyes]

Archived