Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul is for me?

Osvaldo

I'm Italian and i have 2000 euro to spend for my guitar, i prefer THE Gibson sound...BIG and big sustain...

i had see a traditional 2011 and a 2012 but i played only the 2012...She sound like but how are the new models?

Tanks for attenction.

](*,)

Guest Farnsbarns

You're going to have to go and play more than one guitar. Everyone has different preferences and they're all different, the 2012 traditionals will be different, as will all the 2011s. You just need to keep trying them all until you find one you like.

the new models for 2015 may be a disappointment.

Gibson made some changes this year, many of us are not on board.

1: zero fret, which doesn't seem too successful at the moment

2: mini E Tune (automatic tuners) which most of us JUST DO NOT like

3: a wider fretboard

4: No Nibs on the neck binding, from what we have read here, there tends to be a common problem where there is now a space where the neck binding starts and the fret ends as reported by a lot of people. the High E string can get jammed in there from what people have mentioned.

My brother in-law has a 2012 Traditional. It's great. the pickups that come stock are classic 57 neck, and classic 57+ bridge, I love these pickups. This was before Gibson took a great guitar (the les paul standard) and hosed it with innovations that didn't seem to be needed and jacked the price up around +20%.

you maybe on the right trail with another pre 2014 traditional..

Hello Osvaldo, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

Considering the price point of the new models and the decline of the Euro's exchanging rate, it might be best looking for a Les Paul guitar of the past model years. From here I can say that I'm very fine with my Standards made in 2011 and 2012, my 2012 Alex Lifeson Axcess, and my 2013 Traditional. I also think that the 2014 models are nice although I don't have an overview from trying them out myself.

The best of luck for the hunt, mate!

I wish I could say " oh you're italian so this Les Paulis for you!" but it's not that easy.

I seem to say this a lot around here but I can't recommend 2014 models more. Just a damn good year. I lucked out that 2014 was the year I had to finally buy a LP. I can't speak for 2012 but I've played numerous subpar 2013s and the 2015 horror stories are very repulsive.

Still my opinion said YOU HAVE TO GO FIND YOURS!

Good luck!

As Farnsbarns said, you going to need to play as many of the various models, within your budget, as you can find.

They all differ, slightly, even within the same model. So, to find THE ONE, play a LOT of them!

And, frankly, that's half the fun, really. [biggrin]

Good Luck! [thumbup]

CB

Everyone is right who says play a bunch. My quest for the perfect LP for me began with a 2012 Traditional that I brought home in 2013....I proceeded to go through a 2014 Melody Maker, a few different '14 Studios (all of which were great, but just not "the one"), a '93 Studio, another Traditional('14) and a standard(also '14) when I finally went into the local music shop and just played every LP on the wall. I didn't care about price or color, just feel and tone. The guitar that came home with me wasn't my first color choice, really it probablly wouldn't have made my top 5 as far as finnish goes, and has some features I don't really care for in a LP(coil splits and 15db boost) but it just spoke to me. Sounded better than the custom shop LP's or LP Customs in that particular store, and the playability is truly awesome......this is my "The One".....

IMG_0371_zps722c2bd5.jpg

A 2014 LP Classic in Lemon Burst. Good luck in your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I went to buy me a Les Paul, I tried many at many stores, many 'equal' instruments, looking for the

perfect specimen, in the end, I took home an instrument which wasn't the color or even the Les Paul I have been

seeking. It was an SG special I came to try while waiting for other LP models...

I'd say, try something different, a double cutaway, a Firebird, something you wouldnt try as usual...

You might surprise yourself.

I gotta say... That is one STUNNING guitar...

Thanks! She sounds great. 2014 was a stellar year for Gibson. Now, I'm just trying to make up my mind about modding out the boost switch in favor of a tone knob....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! She sounds great. 2014 was a stellar year for Gibson. Now, I'm just trying to make up my mind about modding out the boost switch in favor of a tone knob....

Definitely put another tone knob in there... even if it's just for cosmetic purposes!! Looks weird with 3 knobs. Gorgeous guitar you got there though!

Yup...

As all have said.. the BEST way to find your guitar is to go and play as many as possible...

The one thing I will say is that if you tell us what sort of neck you like and what sort of sound you want (mellow, hot or in the middle) we may be able to help you narrow down the options a bit..

So say, if you like slim necks you may want to look at a LP Classic that have the 60s slim taper necks on them... All the Traditionals have 50s fatter rounded profile necks as far as I know...

Definitely put another tone knob in there... even if it's just for cosmetic purposes!! Looks weird with 3 knobs. Gorgeous guitar you got there though!

Gonna be modding it sometime in the next few weeks with a tone pot in place of the boost. Will post step by step pics...

4: No Nibs on the neck binding, from what we have read here, there tends to be a common problem where there is now a space where the neck binding starts and the fret ends as reported by a lot of people. the High E string can get jammed in there from what people have mentioned.

what do you mean?

a photo to show us that?

Archived