Gibson Brands Forums

SG real or ???

Hi,

A reliable friend (not a musician LOL) has come across this new 2013 Gibson SG (Model No. SG13EBCH1) for sale with the serial number 135020487). I’ve checked the sites about usual tell-tale signs for a fake; and didn’t see the obvious things except two things ... it looks like some of the wires under the back plate are plastic coated and 80% of that area is painted black. Also, my friend claims the guitar has never been played and upon playing it for an hour, my fretting-hand finger tips were black (but it easily washed off).

Here's the thing I'm looking for info on ... there is a defined ridge along the top of the neck where neck meets the fret board, enough that you can run your finger nail along it from the 1st fret to the 12th, then it get smooth like it should be and is over the rest of the guitar. Also, the side of the fretboard and the fret end covers are a pale yellow?? I sent pictures to Gibson and they say an Ebony Gibson with that serial number was made on the date that the info card says; in the Gibson USA hardshell case (but says Made in Canada on the inside of the case) there was the Gibson's owner's manual, the info card with all the signatures in ink (date, inspected by, etc) and the truss key. It plays nice and sounds nice; but is it a Gibson??

Thoughts??

TTY,

post-71037-017559200 1426025874_thumb.jpg

post-71037-048294000 1426025882_thumb.jpg

post-71037-069488400 1426025898_thumb.jpg

post-71037-018335300 1426025911_thumb.jpg

post-71037-030102900 1426025924_thumb.jpg

post-71037-037874400 1426025933_thumb.jpg

post-71037-072135200 1426026017_thumb.jpg

Hello Karma, and welcome here.

I would have liked some pics with higher resolution linked here - the Gibson fora allow for 500kB upload per account only, so it is best using a provider like photobucket - and also would have liked to view close-ups of pickups, bridge, tailpiece and controls. However, I can't see any red flag, this guitar looks clearly legit to me. 29 days between serial number embossment and packing dates are typical, too.

So they still make guitars with ridges that wide along the fretboard-neck joint and yellowish bindings? Just like my 1978 S-G Standard, but on mine the binding's hue looks mottled at that! Viewable edges along the necks are still common today, some barely touchable, too.

This all is mainly due to the nitro finishes letting much more of the wood's structure or gaps along the binding translate to the finish surface. By the way, although the necks are smooth, all of my Gibson Les Paul body bindings are clearly touchable.

Gibson hardshell cases were made mainly in Canada for many years, but they switched to a supplier in Costa Rica during 2013, applying to the black Gibson USA SG and Les Paul cases as well.

Ah yes, and the plastic-coated cables are OK, too.

Hope this helps.

Hello Karma, and welcome here.

I would have liked some pics with higher resolution linked here - the Gibson fora allow for 500kB upload per account only, so it is best using a provider like photobucket - and also would have liked to view close-ups of pickups, bridge, tailpiece and controls. However, I can't see any red flag, this guitar looks clearly legit to me. 29 days between serial number embossment and packing dates are typical, too.

So they still make guitars with ridges that wide along the fretboard-neck joint and yellowish bindings? Just like my 1978 S-G Standard, but on mine the binding's hue looks mottled at that! Viewable edges along the necks are still common today, some barely touchable, too.

This all is mainly due to the nitro finishes letting much more of the wood's structure or gaps along the binding translate to the finish surface. By the way, although the necks are smooth, all of my Gibson Les Paul body bindings are clearly touchable.

Gibson hardshell cases were made mainly in Canada for many years, but they switched to a supplier in Costa Rica during 2013, applying to the black Gibson USA SG and Les Paul cases as well.

Ah yes, and the plastic-coated cables are OK, too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is helpful. I just had a very close look with a magnifying glass at the back of the headstock; even though its only 1 1/2 old the stamp is very hard to see ... it has the serial number, then Made in USA then something I can't make out then the word MODEL .

Also, I just played it for half an hour and my finger tips a black again and I can see a difference in the colour of the grain where I've been playing ... is this normal??

It could well be that the piece of wood was not the desired colour and has perhaps been dyed. I have done this to my old Jackson, and am contemplating doing it to my LP Studio (very light granadillo), and it's not been particularly well done?

That said, nothing screams danger here for me. My LP case is also made in Canada and was purchased from a highly respected and award winning retailer here in the UK :)

Thanks, that is helpful. I just had a very close look with a magnifying glass at the back of the headstock; even though its only 1 1/2 old the stamp is very hard to see ... it has the serial number, then Made in USA then something I can't make out then the word MODEL .

Also, I just played it for half an hour and my finger tips a black again and I can see a difference in the colour of the grain where I've been playing ... is this normal??

Serial numbers on solid coloured surfaces can be very hard to detect. Those of mine are affected, too. The thing you can't make out should be 2013 like on my avatar guitar:

IMG_0606_zps6d0251b4.jpg

The colour of what grain do you mean - that of the rosewood fretboard? Would be no problem in my opinion. The black fingertips may result from pure nickel wound or nickel plated strings. It depends on skin but is rather common.

Archived