Gibson Brands Forums

SG SG13EBCH1

Karma180

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy this SG and I am in the process of authenticating with some help from people here. It plays fantastic, has great sustain and a great feel; despite a very small"ridge' (about the size of the edge of a fingernail) along the top where the neck meets the fretboard from the 1st fret to the 12th.

I have a 1980 SG and I love it, but I'm really starting to like this new SG a lot! The neck is wider and the tone seems fatter!

My question is; I've been playing it and trying it out on my gear 3 times now; and each time my fretting finger tips come away stained black. I notice that the fretboard seems a different colour now in places ... is this normal for this guitar??

Thanks,

post-71037-076093000 1426043142_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the previous owner, if you bought it used, put something on the fretboard to stain it darker. I've heard of people doing that with the granadillo fret boards.No, that does not seem normal for the frets to be changing colors on a Guitar that new. I have worn spots in frets boards of lesser quality, mostly fender acoustics after 20 or 30 years of playing. but never a gibson. It could be the strings, like Kidblast stated. some of my fiddles I use Ernie Balls super slinky's on, and after an hour or two of playing the tips of my fingers will be black.

Archived