Gibson Brands Forums

Wraparound - a sitar -like buzz

Numb

I have a bridge buzz problem in my 1960 VOS LP Special DC. The high e-string has a sitar -like buzz, that is present in both open and fretted notes, including the highest, and notes have noticeably short sustain all across the neck. There is also a very slight version of the same in b-string. The guitar has the original smooth rounded wraparound bridge, that looks to me like it is leaning slightly forward in the studs. Neck relief is as it should be, and I prefer my action not-that-low.

Any solutions/suggestions?

Welcom Newbie. I ran into something similar once on an old Junior. Somehow the rounded tailpiece had worn down and the string

was'nt making strong enough contact at the optimal point. See how it feels by trying to slide a piece of paper or feeler gauge under

the string. This "sitar" effect can also be found on Fender type guitars when a string tree isn't used on the headstock to ensure a

good downward pressure on the nut. Maybe your string is sitting on too flat a surface and not breaking downward soon enough. Does

the tailpiece have a groove worn in it? That's all I could offer now without close-up pics. Good luck and don't panic! There are very

knowledgable people on this forum. I'm sure someone better than me will assist you.

I came to the conclusion the issue was indeed in the bridge itself, so I picked up a replacement, put it in, tinkered with the setup, and now it plays like a dream. If I didn't already own it, I'd have to buy it :)

I assume that the old wraparound had just worn a little bit flatter, although not visibly to the naked eye. The high e buzzed against the bridge, causing the sitar effect and the note dying too quickly.

About these kind of issues in Fenders, I bought a very nice Telecaster that did the sitars. The shop said they'd put in string trees that would tame the effect. They didn't, and nothing they tried did. They ended up offering me another Tele, but that one just didn't have "it", so they gave me my money back.

Later, of course, I learned that a Les Paul Special is the best Telecaster you can have ;)

Archived