Gibson Brands Forums

DF in a Guild -100

56goldreissue

I have a '98 Guild S-100 that needs new pickups. I am wanting to add a Gibson Dirty Fingers (have been listening to it on youtube, not the best but was better than the other pickup I was looking at) and am wondering if it would be a good fit for my S-100. I am also looking for a good Neck pickup to pair with it. Most of the guitars I have seen with the DF just have it as the only pickup in the bridge (tom delonge from blink 182 and people who cover blink on youtube).

Okay, I'm older than dirt, and so is my original early '70s S100c Guild. Frankly it's the playing and tone "board" guitar I've had my hands on in over 50 years of picking. yes, mine is the older version with acorns and oak leaves carved into the top.

I don't know exactly what you're trying for, but the Guild pups IMHO are exceptional and exceptionally versatile. I'd not swap a thing.

Then again, I'm older than dirt. but my S100c has done anything from 50s rock through 60s rock through 50s-70s country to jazz, largely with only variations of technique as opposed to messing with even settings on the guitar or amp.

If the pups are even close to my original version, I don't understand a need for replacement.

m

I guess "need" was the wrong choice of words at the beginning. This is more a "take advantage of the opportunity" replacement. The ones that are currently on my S-100 are very corroded. While I could clean them, I feel that cleaning them would be a temporary solution. While I do like the look of chrome covered pickups, there is just a lot of maintenance that goes with them. This led to my interest in the DF. It's not a polished humbucker, has the sound I am trying to get and I think would add a nice little upgrade. I am at the point in my guitar playing life that I am looking for guitars that will play the music I make myself and sound like some of the bands that I like. That being said the sound I get from my current pups, but just looking for that little extra.

I understand what you're saying... and I guess the newer version of the S100 doesn't have the panache of the early '70s carved tops.

So as the saying goes, if it suits you, it tickles me plumb to death.

For me? Those old guild pups are as good or better overall quality than anything I've played in over 50 years, and --- with a bit of messing with guitar and amp settings, also the most versatile. It's the only "board" guitar I own at this point, and one I'll not part with until I'm planted.

I messed with swapping guitars, amps, pups, etc., for basically a cupla decades. Ended up deciding that if the guitar helped me play and wasn't somehow defective or "weak" in some way, I'd keep it and if it didn't, it went. Unfortunately some nice instruments "went" that shouldn't have, I think.

Never cared for open pups, either, but that's perhaps from the olden days of beer sneezes from the audience or fellow band members - and my Guild pups still look doggone new. Never had beer sneezes myself, since my preferences in libation on or off stage tended to be a bit different.

Good luck.

m

• 2 weeks later...

I am personally a big fan of the P90's bridge and neck setup that is in all Sg Standards. There is a reason Gibson has been using that since the 60's. The tone and raw rock and roll sound is unmistakable through the right Amp and users hands.

I have a '98 Guild S-100 that needs new pickups. I am wanting to add a Gibson Dirty Fingers (have been listening to it on youtube, not the best but was better than the other pickup I was looking at) and am wondering if it would be a good fit for my S-100. I am also looking for a good Neck pickup to pair with it. Most of the guitars I have seen with the DF just have it as the only pickup in the bridge (tom delonge from blink 182 and people who cover blink on youtube).

Archived