Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons SG Standard (I think)

Hi all,

I am trying to trace the history of my Gibson SG and wondered if you can help. The headstock stamped SN is 134295 and the numbers around the pots are 70-028 and 1377325. The guitar as you can see from the pics also has a tremolo arm. I purchased it in the UK in 1976 as a second hand instrument. Hope you can help. Thanks.

post-71053-068007000 1426189378_thumb.jpg

post-71053-090756500 1426189332_thumb.jpg

post-71053-009597800 1426189348_thumb.jpg

post-71053-037266100 1426189364_thumb.jpg

Pots date to 73, guitar is probably not older than that. So, 73 or 74. That bridge also is consistent with that age SG.

Just did a Google search for 1973 SG Standard and one like yours popped up. Tons of info and videos of that model with the Bigsby; all mohagany, T-top pickups.

Pots date to 73, guitar is probably not older than that. So, 73 or 74. That bridge also is consistent with that age SG.

Just did a Google search for 1973 SG Standard and one like yours popped up. Tons of info and videos of that model with the Bigsby; all mohagany, T-top pickups.

That's excellent, thank you for taking the time to reply. As you say, the numbers on the pots also confirms 25th week of 1973.

One other question, the front of the guitar is faded compared the the back, which is clearly cherry. I always thought my guitar had been left in a shop window or similar, causing the fading, but have read somewhere that some guitars were shipped pre faded and some other online photos also show faded fronts. Any thoughts?

Cheers

In my opinion the front got much more light than the back through all these years. I don't know of any guitar shipped pre-faded from the late 1970s until the aged/relic'd/beat up fad set in, so I don't think they did it on purpose in the early 1970s.

I agree with Cap. Pre-faded is a modern gimmick. Either the guitar was on a stand or hanging most of its life,in front of natural light, causing the front to fade. It happens a lot with the cherry stained guitars.

Cool unit [thumbup]

I agree with Cap. Pre-faded is a modern gimmick. Either the guitar was on a stand or hanging most of its life,in front of natural light, causing the front to fade. It happens a lot with the cherry stained guitars.

Cool unit [thumbup]

Thanks chaps, very helpful. Must say that I quite like the faded front compared to the back. 😊

That's excellent, thank you for taking the time to reply. As you say, the numbers on the pots also confirms 25th week of 1973.

One other question, the front of the guitar is faded compared the the back, which is clearly cherry. I always thought my guitar had been left in a shop window or similar, causing the fading, but have read somewhere that some guitars were shipped pre faded and some other online photos also show faded fronts. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Didn't even occur to me that it had once been cherry colored. I used to see these used in shops in the 80's and assumed they were just clear-coated. Most of the pics I found also were not cherry. But, cherry definitely will fade.

Archived