Gibson Brands Forums

ES125T Questions / Opinions

Silvercrow

Hi Folks- So lately I've been drawn to Gibsons; I am the happy owner of a new-to-me SG Ltd. Ed. (color) Special in Blue Mist.

A friend of mine, who feels he is too old to pursue working on guitars / playing, gave me an ES125T that is cosmetically in ragged shape. I will post a pic tonight. Limited research indicates the guitar is a 1967 or so.

Someone other than my friend tried to "refinish" the guitar, in effect ruining whatever was on there to begin with (all indications were it was a burst finish of some sort). So the guitar was stripped but not well. It looked like there was an attempt to do a sort of stain finish but was abandoned along the way. The guitar has the original P90 pup- that works(!) but the cover and pole pieces are in rough shape. The guitar is missing the trapeze tail piece and the bridge- I'm understanding these are relatively easy to find replacements for? (I do not need originals- just replacements).

The pickguard is remarkably in good condition- the bracket is rusted but seems an easy fix.

My desire is to get the guitar playable and to do a refinish of a solid color with nitro finish.

The prices I was quoted to have the guitar professionally refinished are way over what I can / will pay.

In my limited research, it seems these guitars go for around $1200.00 +/- in excellent condition. I am not interested in its value; I am interested in getting it presentable and playing it / loving it!

Any sugestions as to; 1- replacement parts (tail piece, bridge) and 2- I want to try to refinish myself. I am a good "student" and can read and follow directions)is "Re-Ranch" or Stew Mac a good source for materials / finishes? I can borrow a spray gun / compressor.

Thoughts comments and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks everyone, in advance!

Brian

Hey Brian, good project! I agree and have used ReRanch and StewMac products and tutorials. Doing the best 'prep work' takes the most time but is rewarded with the best results. Take your time. Just google for Gibson parts. There are many suppliers on-line.

Rod

Archived