Gibson Brands Forums

New GA5 for $300 on musician's friend

TheVintageKid

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Goldtone-Les-Paul-Jr.-Amp?sku=481209

Compared to the usual $700 tag these hold online, I'd figure this is a good time to snatch one-I did. I already had a 6V6 based chassis, back to the 6SN7 preamp (50's I think?), so I figure and EL84 based with a 12AX7 can't hurt either, right? I'm still sketchy about SS rectifiers, but my Marshalls already have 'em so I can't complain right?

Just wanted to get the word out for anyone who might not have one. I guess it's safe to assume some people around already would have one though. [-o<

Hey there VintageKid. You'd be surprised how many people don't have this amp out there. I think that it has been generally overlooked mainly because of the usual high $700 price tag these carry. I'm bummed, I bought mine from Sweetwater a month ago when they were $399 and they wont pricematch. Oh well, I'm still happy for the price I paid, especially for a Gibson low-wattage ptp hand-wired Class A tube amp. I love to just plug in and play, as well as play with my pedalboard. People should really look into this amp. Actually, for $299, you'd be a deadbrain if you didn't just by it especially if your looking for a small tube amp. Fun to just play, with pedals..............this is a monster.

• 2 months later...
I wish Gibson would bring the LPJ back. If it is under redesign' date=' I would hope it would make it out for Summer NAMM.[/quote']

I totally agree! <g>

I was lucky enough to buy one of the "discontinued" GA-5 Les Paul Juniors when they were $299 at Musician's Friend. It was highly recommended by "StiffHand", "Manimal" and others on this Forum, and it's easy to see why.

It's built like a tank, it's extremely pick-sensitive, it's loud without upsetting folks two states away, and it just sounds GREAT! I LOVE it! <g>

But...if Gibson does redesign it, I would like them to:

1 - Give it a longer power cord. I'm sorry, but a four-foot cord doesn't cut it! <g>

2 - Get rid of the "cord cubby". It's really pretty useless. <g>

3 - Get rid of the thick metal protective grids (under the cloth grilles) on the front and back panels.

4 - Include an integrated Standby power switch, in place of the On/Off switch.

5 - Include a 8-ohm 1/4" speaker output so that it could drive an external cab.

6 - Give it better shielding...mine has a slight hum and picks up external electronic noise.

I hope that I didn't sound like I was complaining...I'm really not. <g> The GA-5 is a great little amp, but for just a little bit more it could be even better.

These modifications are just a few of the many listed on TDPRI, the Telecaster (YIKES! <g>) Discussion Page Reissue . Why is it that a great Gibson product like the GA-5 gets a fantastic discussion thread on a Fender (again, YIKES! I've said the "F" word! <g>) appreciation page...with nothing remotely like it here? <g>

An amp like the Les Paul Junior really lends itself to such mods, but I pretty much like to keep things original. YMMV.

Cat Daddy

I totally agree! <g>

I was lucky enough to buy one of the "discontinued" GA-5 Les Paul Juniors when they were $299 at Musician's Friend. It was highly recommended by "StiffHand"' date=' "Manimal" and others on this Forum, and it's easy to see why.

It's built like a tank, it's extremely pick-sensitive, it's loud without upsetting folks two states away, and it just sounds GREAT! I LOVE it! <g>

But...if Gibson does redesign it, I would like them to:

1 - Give it a longer power cord. I'm sorry, but a four-foot cord doesn't cut it! <g>

2 - Get rid of the "cord cubby". It's really pretty useless. <g>

3 - Get rid of the thick metal protective grids (under the cloth grilles) on the front and back panels.

4 - Include an integrated Standby power switch, in place of the On/Off switch.

5 - Include a 8-ohm 1/4" speaker output so that it could drive an external cab.

6 - Give it better shielding...mine has a slight hum and picks up external electronic noise.

I hope that I didn't sound like I was complaining...I'm really not. <g> The GA-5 is a great little amp, but for just a little bit more it could be even better.

These modifications are just a few of the many listed on TDPRI, the Telecaster (YIKES! <g>) Discussion Page Reissue . Why is it that a great Gibson product like the GA-5 gets a fantastic discussion thread on a *ender (again, YIKES! I've said the "*" word! <g>) appreciation page...with nothing remotely like it here? <g>

An amp like the Les Paul Junior really lends itself to such mods, but I pretty much like to keep things original. YMMV.

Cat Daddy

I "*" out your curse words here LOL!

Anyhow, I completely agree with your take on the improvements if they were to tackle a successor.

Glad you like it Cat Daddy! I"m totally with you on those design flaws, mine stays in its place indefinately for now though so I"m not affected. I can't stress how awesome this amp is! I was just about to buy it at the $699 price too! then the sale came out and I saved quite a bit of bread obviously. It's funny how many people ended up having mixed opinions on this amp. More love this amp than not, but it was funny to me because people honestly didn't know what to expect with this amp. They figure, "My Les Paul into amp= Heavy tones". Uh uh, thats not what this amp is about at all. I use my Metal Muff for that stuff (which is absolutely Captain Insane-o thru this little tube wonder!). Plugged straight into this amp, especially if you are home alone or in a place that you don't have to worry about volume levels, it is just a pure joy to play. Cranked up it gets plenty of gain for Classic Rock on its own. As much as the amp sounds much better now that the speaker is broken in, I think my ears have broken in as well, in a very good way. This amp doesn't hide anything, it doesn't play for you, it doesn't hold you back. Did I forget to mention that this little guy looks great in the house too? Wow Gibson could bring these back in a revised version for a street price of $495 and knock the ball out of the park!!! Who knows if the amp would be as good as the ones we have now for that price, as ours are absolutely of top-notch build quality and methods from right here in the U.S.A. If Gibson came out with a new version made in China, I'd throw up everywhere. I trust that they won't do such a thing with their U.S.A line..........

Archived