Gibson Brands Forums

Trad machine heads??

mygibbysired

Could be a few things.

Do you stretch your strings out when you first put them on?

Is the string gauge too thick? Are you using strings that are heavier than the nut was cut for? You want to make sure that the strings aren't getting stuck at the nut or the bridge when they are moving through the grooves.

In regards to nut/bridge problems, Ive found it's also a good practice to always tune up to pitch not down to a pitch. if you are turning the tuner to say A for example and you over shoot your mark and end up A sharp. lossen the string past the intended pitch, give the string a tug, and again tune up to your mark. Don't just simple go down to A and stop there.

IMO, tuning problems usually come from nut slot issues, poor intonation or old strings. I don't believe I've ever changed a tuner in 35 years.

Truth, get some graphite lube in the nut slot and you'll be good to go.

Like many, I would put the probable cause of the issues down to the nut, with intonation coming second. There could be issues with the cut, or debris under the strings which cause them to get pinched.

Otherwise the intonation at the bridge could be off, or maybe even the neck relief and string tension.

Personally I do go for locking machineheads, and equip the guitars with GraphTech nuts and saddles, which are inpregnated with extra slippery stuff - no strings getting stuck!

Archived