Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrades to my Gibson SG 60s tribute

Autumn Light&Shade

Hi all, just thought I'd share some photos of my upgrades. Thank you all for your advice and experience and for spurring me on, very pleased with the end results. Very pleased with the Graph Tech nut and saddles. Noticed a difference straight away when tuning up strings, super smooth movement of strings. Definitely increased sustain, notes have a sweet tone.Easy to fit nut. Placed masking tape on each side of the original nut for protection and prevent any chipping of finish. Gently scored around nut with a craft knife to separate any lacquer. Used a small block of scrap wood, same length of nut and gently tapped with a hammer, more nudging than a hard blow. Saddles were a little bit fiddly, but I found using my eyebrow tweezers came in handy placing them in position to saddle into to position to get the screw through the hole20150315_152109_zpsggr9ukch.jpgURL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/emmastrutt19/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/20150315_133339_zpswbam2vsh.jpg.html]20150315_133339_zpswbam2vsh.jpg[/url] 8907c6c6-4bbf-4841-a873-68210fcc06cb_zpsjcvspc1g.jpg[/url

. 1426349114763_zpsj001ek34.jpg[/urlInstalling the Gibson Angus Young Quick Connect pup was very easy and took a matter of minutes. The pup came with a adapter, due to different types of connectors (either black 2 pin or white 5 pin)I like the simplicity of changing the pups. Love this pup can really 'push' the amp, nice gain but still retains clarity. Bass, middle, treble is more even than the stock BB2, treble really cuts through with this pup. I will replace the stock BB1 for a 57 classic (next months treat). Don't get me wrong, I like the BB pups, but thanks to the Quick Connect system I have two guitars in one.20150312_131602_zpsm4dxfk9_edit_1426352490427_zpsebhgge8c.jpg[/url.20150312_131500_zpsxlxyc0rf.jpg[/urlNext job was to dress the fret ends, just a little sharp. The fret dressing tool does have a safety edge, but as I was going to polish the frets, I used masking tape to protect the fretboard, as I did each fret I placed a 'tick' just so I knew where I was on the 'board. A very satisfying job removing a miniscule burr. Next I used a fret eraser to polish them, as they were looking a bit grubby, just gently working my way along the fret, with even pressure. I have used wire wool in the past, but the fret eraser was a lot less messy. I know the photos aren't very good but the end result is super shiny frets.20150314_132941_zpsahhegdnl.jpg[/url20150314_123641_zpsuj4yw7yj.jpg[/urlI've included a before and after. I also changed the black speed knob control knobs and pup selector ring for gold reflectors and pup selector ring with gold lettering as the stock one had white lettering, I know its a small detail but the white lettering to me 'jumped out'. The photos were taken at different times, hence the difference in finish colour. I decided not to make a pickguard, as I didn't want to hide the grain of the wood. My conclusion: I've thoroughly enjoyed doing this and what I had in my mind I've achieved. Visually and sound wise. Control knobs and pup selector ring and blank truss rod cover are genuine Gibson parts for a perfect fit . Also put Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel Wound strings on her. Will definitely continue using these strings, like the feel , quality and warmer tone. Well I will be honest with you all. I'm not technically minded, but doing the work on the guitar has been a lot more easier and less stressful than putting these photos and text up. All good though. Happy days, Emma20141219_143149_zpsrqiiyc9o.jpg[/url[img1aeabc25-ecb2-446a-a660-9120b2a8c99e_zps5eghivcw.jpg

Nice I had a AY pup in one of my SG's.

Hi FZ Fan, thank you. I'm really pleased with the AY pup. Been after one for some time. Getting great tones out of it. Getting close (to my ears) to the guitar sound off of 'Powerage'and 'Let There Be Rock'. Been on such a high waiting for the delivery of my new toys and doing the work. Very happy though with the end results. :)

BEAUTIFUL guitar and great job on the install and the fret dressing! Your rosewood board has an outstanding grain pattern and color! Shes a real beauty!

Brian

Hi Silvercrow, thank you. Everytime I open up the guitar case the smell of the rosewood 'board and vanilla smell of the nitro is really strong, mmmm. :) I decided not to do the pickguard, couldn't justify covering the grain of the wood.

I got a real buzz doing the work (no pun intended), :) found it very relaxing, but my fingers were really sore after but she is a joy to play :). The Graph Tech nut and saddles have made such a difference. Even though she has new strings on, I deliberately did wild string bending and then checked the tuning, and she stayed in tune. Notes have a nice sweet ring to them.

I'm getting a 57 classic pup for the neck position. That will compliment the Angus Young pup. Getting great tones out of this pup, that were floating around in my head. :)

Wow, looks awesome!msp_thumbup.gif

Glad that you like your AY Pickup, I love that thing.

The only thing I like more that the AY is the 57 on my neck.

Both together are just perfect, wait and see!

I love to put the PU selector switch in middle position and play with vol./tone-knobs.

Get great tones from them.

Wow, looks awesome!msp_thumbup.gif

Glad that you like your AY Pickup, I love that thing.

The only thing I like more that the AY is the 57 on my neck.

Both together are just perfect, wait and see!

I love to put the PU selector switch in middle position and play with vol./tone-knobs.

Get great tones from them.

Hi Mr. C. O. Jones, thank you, having some much fun with the AY pup, gives my guitar a whole new voice. I'm looking forward to putting the 57 pup in, I've heard they go very well together.

Couldn't resist it, I took delivery of 'The Definitive AC/DC Songbook' this afternoon, its whooping 840 pages, that will keep me busy. It was hearing Angus playing that made me want to learn and my fascination for Gibson's started when I was a kid. :)

Archived