Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Setup

LeeWhit

Hi all

I have a 2012 Les Paul American Standard that is in need of a good setup the intonation is definitely off among other things, Can anyone suggest a good shop in Philadelphia or it's suburbs that does quality work?

Thanks

Hi all

I have a 2012 Les Paul American Standard that is in need of a good setup the intonation is definitely off among other things, Can anyone suggest a good shop in Philadelphia or it's suburbs that does quality work?

Thanks

Have you tried doing the intonation by yourself? It's easy enough and a good skill to have. Check YouTube. What other issues are you talking about?

I keep getting emails stating I have gotten a response to my question and then I check the board only to find another person telling me to do it myself. I know people are trying to be helpful but without out going into my life story doing my own setup is just not an option for me. Hopefully somebody from the Philly metro area can chime in please.

I do. But, well, I do all my...own...eh. Nevermind.

rct

You ain't got a go to guy when you get busy?

Hard to believe. Although I have to admit, IF I had one (or two or more), I don't know if they are still available.

If I don't have time to setup my guitar that pretty much means I don't have time to play it either lol

Yep. Basic adjustments on Les Paul Standards are fast and easy. Much more relaxing than practicing... [rolleyes]

I agree, it is good to know how to do it yourself. I have learned it all except the nut slot filing thing, how do you solve that? Do I have to buy expensive files for something I use once for each guitar?

//Robert

If there isn't an adjustment for it, I let the experts take over.

Truss rods, bridges/saddles, intonation ... all easy to do and better done to personal prefs, IMO

I only ever remember having one guitar, a Strat, that needed nut slot work.

I keep getting emails stating I have gotten a response to my question and then I check the board only to find another person telling me to do it myself. I know people are trying to be helpful but without out going into my life story doing my own setup is just not an option for me. Hopefully somebody from the Philly metro area can chime in please.

Sorry ... the good intentions are genuine.

If there isn't an adjustment for it, I let the experts take over.

Truss rods, bridges/saddles, intonation ... all easy to do and better done to personal prefs, IMO

I only ever remember having one guitar, a Strat, that needed nut slot work.

Same here. I'm pretty reluctant of filing nuts or anything else. I leave that to a pro. Adjusting a Floyd Rose locking nut once and for all using a shim comes much easier to me. :)

I don't live in philly but check out yelp. Usually that can help you find the better rated guys. You can also talk to other guitar players at local shops or rehearsal buildings and see who they recommend.

Hi folks....I'm new to the forum. I had the same question as LeeWhit.

Thank you, iwalktheline, for the suggestion.

Do it yourself, I'm kidding I'm kidding

Actually I have a guy from Roxy Guitar in Manyunk taking a look at my guitar on Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes. If I'm not happy I'll probably try Bluebond that was suggested in this forum.

Archived