Gibson Brands Forums

'65-'67 Firebird III

ddb

Hello all, owner of a '65-'68 Firebird 3. Bought this from a friend back in'83, played it sparingly (with my limited musical abilities much more suited to bass) and have had it pretty much put away for 30 years. Recently pulled it out and trying to research exactly what year it is, and thinking of passing this on (selling it) to someone who will really enjoy and get the proper use and love that it deserves. I can't seem to find a serial number on the headstock, in addition I have never altered it myself, but the tuning keys are gold which seems unusual? It's also missing the tremelo bar (assuming it had one?)..Anyway, I figure this may be the best place to pick brains..Any ideas on what year and value?

Thanks!!

post-71164-094746600 1426440189_thumb.jpg

The serial numbers were stamped into the headstock sideways (parallel to the tuners) at the bottom of the headstock. Many times they impressions get filled up with the paint and/or lacquer finish and are hard to see and read. IF... the headstock has been broken and repaired, this to will in most cases wipe out the serial number.

Originally, the Firebird III would have had chrome (or nickel, whichever it was) hardware, so the tuners have been changed. From the photo, you're not just missing the "vibrola" handle, but the entire string anchorage/bar assembly that slides over the spring flange. The "wrap-around" conversion was VERY typical of III's, both reverse and non-reverse, and generally the spring bar is also removed in the process.

Don't know what else I can tell you. Any other specific questions? A good set of detailed photos is always helpful, AND enjoyable

Thanks Larry! Yeah, I wasn't sure what the string anchorage/bar assembly was called, but I knew that was missing as well.

I also kind of figured that the tuners had been changed, will also need to take a closer look for the serial numbers.

New to this forum so not sure how to add larger photos without going over the limit?

post-71164-047192700 1426444848_thumb.jpg

post-71164-001948900 1426444891_thumb.jpg

Archived