Gibson Brands Forums

strung out

olie

I'm throwing out a request for feedback from all you Epiphreaks out there in the cyberworld.It's time to restring my dr500mce and I'm asking for info from you very seasoned pickers as to (a)-what gauge and (B) what make of strings you've had the most success with. I've had this guitar for just a few months and I like it a lot, however it's tough trying out different strings without spending a lot of time and money to determine what's best.I'm more concerned with the un-amped , or natural tone that any strings would deliver.Let 'em rip-and thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.Cheers!

I tried a few different sets on mine, D'Addario Gibson Masterbuilts, Martins, and finally settled on Elixer Nanoweb .013s.

I usually use the D'Addarios on most of my other acoustics, and Gibson Masterbuilts on my Gibson J200.

Funnily enough, the Elixers sounded dead on both my Epi EJ200s, but sounded really great on the DR500MCE.

They play like velvet and sound oh so warm and smooooth....

They cost more, but last for a very long time with moderate play, and a few times each year various retailers online will offer buy two get one free sales.

Enjoy that guitar, it,s a goodie!

Man that's hard because you have to decide what your ears like . I used Martians that where good as of now the De Dario's spelled that wrong lol but there very consistent in build quality .

I also like the Ernie balls earth woods they great tone and brightness out the box but fail quick week at best depending on playing style greased fingers sweat you know lol

I used elixirs for a long time then got a batch that kept breaking strings after a few more packs I said screw it and moved on . But I might need to revisit them as it has been done time .

I'm trying out the aluminum bronze also first set I just could not get my head straight on what was hearing lol they were good but brighter and little more clarity on bass but that's what made me cringe because I was not used to this new sound I know laugh but really so I need to try another set .

There some good brands under the wire out there I'm going one said brand just remember the dang name lol I'll post back when I get it . Good luck on your search .

I tried a few different sets on mine, D'Addario Gibson Masterbuilts, Martins, and finally settled on Elixer Nanoweb .013s.

I usually use the D'Addarios on most of my other acoustics, and Gibson Masterbuilts on my Gibson J200.

Funnily enough, the Elixers sounded dead on both my Epi EJ200s, but sounded really great on the DR500MCE.

They play like velvet and sound oh so warm and smooooth....

They cost more, but last for a very long time with moderate play, and a few times each year various retailers online will offer buy two get one free sales.

Enjoy that guitar, it,s a goodie!

I went through a bunch this winter to try and find the set of strings that make my AJ-500M Masterbilt sing. Tried DR Sunbeams, D'Addario, Elixirs and John Pearse. The D'Addario Phospher Bronze 12's nails this guitar. Nice even sound and the highs are so smooth. The lows get low and the middle...oh man :-)

Not sure if it will do the same for your DR but it might not hurt.

db

I've only tried a few different types but what I think sounds best so far is the Elixer Polyweb Lights (12-53).

Hey Hawk- I went with the Elixirs that you mentioned (not JUST because you recommended them)and they really have a nice ring to them,but I wonder if they might sound a tad "thin".What's your take on mediums or is that a bit heavy for the DR500mce?I know that we're in "subjective" territory here but all info is positive.Thanks to you and everyone who chimed in-it's nice to have a supportive extended family to call on.

I read (or heard) somewhere that the Masterbilts were braced light to enhance the sound, which actually makes sense. Usually when they come from the factory with light strings, that's what they recommend you use. There have been some issues (as there are with all guitars) but I'm not sure putting mediums on a DR is condusive to long term stability.

I read (or heard) somewhere that the Masterbilts were braced light to enhance the sound, which actually makes sense. Usually when they come from the factory with light strings, that's what they recommend you use. There have been some issues (as there are with all guitars) but I'm not sure putting mediums on a DR is condusive to long term stability.

Thanks for that Dennis-when you put it like that it makes all kind of sense.The sound I'm getting is different, so that may simply be my preconceived memory bank feeling weird.The sustain and ring of this guitar is quite remarkable for the price I paid.Maybe I need to accept that it's a great sound and get used to it.

All recent masterbilts are shipped with light gauge strings.. (.12--.53) I use that gauge and I use Elixir 80/20 nanoweb light gauge on the DR models and they sound great, and last very long.

Thanks for your feedback, G.L.

Better to experiment with different strings and string compositions than to go to mediums IMHO.

Guitar Light turned me on to Elixir Nanowebs a few yearsback and I haven't looked back...

That's the feeling I'm getting here, Dennis so I think that's what I'll do.Thanks for your time.

I've got some good calluses but mediums? Nah. If I need to get more volume than this I'll get a little acoustic amp.

Fair enough-I do have a little amp and the e-sonics sound good so I'll buy that.My first request for feedback was thinking more in terms of when you just want to hear the guitar itself because it is an ACOUSTIC/electric.There still is the joy of hearing the beautiful ring and sustain you get from a good ax.You know-later in the day but you still want to play a bit. Ah, I'm waxing rhapsodic now ,ain't I? Thanks'Hawk and everybody for your input.

I just replaced the strings on my Masterbilt AJ500R with a set of Gibson Masterbilt Acoustic Phosphor Bronze strings in ultra light, which is 11's. They seem a little stiffer than whatever I had on there before but they are very interesting and can be very loud, but with defined notes and a sweet tone that I really like...

I will play them for a while to see how they settle in, but I think I will buy a few more sets for my 2 other Epi acoustics.msp_thumbup.gif

The best I've tried is D'Addario Flat Tops. They're semi-flat for reduced finger noise and they ring like a bell!

I was suspecting they might go dead pretty quick but they've been on for 2 months now playing 2-3 hours or more a day and still fine.

Archived