Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Identification problem

Greetings from Croatia!

I have opportunity of purchasing a Les Paul standard tobacco sunburst from 1974,

honduran mahogany and very light weight as I was told. The seller swears it is

original ,authentic and very rare model, his price is 2500 euro. Serial number of guitar is

172561, and I couldn't find anywhere any info about it, already had sent e-mail

to Gibson customer support, still waiting. Anybody knows something about this guitar,

her value... I will send pictures during this week.

Thank you for your help!

Greetings from Croatia!

I have opportunity of purchasing a Les Paul standard tobacco sunburst from 1974,

honduran mahogany and very light weight as I was told. The seller swears it is

original ,authentic and very rare model, his price is 2500 euro. Serial number of guitar is

172561, and I couldn't find anywhere any info about it, already had sent e-mail

to Gibson customer support, still waiting. Anybody knows something about this guitar,

her value... I will send pictures during this week.

Thank you for your help!

Post some pictures head stock , the serial number, pick ups ect.

4H

In my opinion the asked price is too high.

In case I had to replace machine heads, I would always use direct replacements since I reject extra screw holes like present on this guitar. I also believe that the pickups are not original. I'm not sure but guess all Les Paul Standards came with covered pickups then. Since I'm not an expert in model history, I can't say if this guitar is possibly rare. At least I don't see anything making it rare from the pictures.

As you already mentioned, the quality of the pictures is arguable. This guitar looks like a genuine Gibson, but the lack of resolution and contrast makes a detailed appraisal impossible.

In case I had to replace machine heads, I would always use direct replacements since I reject extra screw holes like present on this guitar. I also believe that the pickups are not original.

The tuning machines pictured ARE the proper original style for this era guitar. The extra holes shown are from "the mod". The pickups are either replacements, or the covers were removed from the originals.

I would question the 1974 advertised mfg date. Most likely this guitar is from 1975, as it has the "production model" font on the TRC. The official date or the "re-introduction" of the production model Standard is 1975. There WERE a batch of "Standards" built for a NYC retailer from '71 to '75, but they had a different TRC. I would ask the seller for potentiometer codes for dating purposes.

These Norlin era guitars are not rare, valuable, "vintage", or collectable, but can be great players. Selling prices for fine examples in original condition average about $2000.

That's U.S. Dollars of course, as the "$" sign originated from the initials U and S, superimposed upon each other.

I would question the 1974 advertised mfg date. Most likely this guitar is from 1975, as it has the "production model" font on the TRC. The official date or the "re-introduction" of the production model Standard is 1975. There WERE a batch of "Standards" built for a NYC retailer from '71 to '75, but they had a different TRC. I would ask the seller for potentiometer codes for dating purposes.

These Norlin era guitars are not rare, valuable, "vintage", or collectable, but can be great players. Selling prices for fine examples in original condition average about $2000.

I am not much of an expert in guitar history and ID, i have read about Norlins on several forums, how can you be sure that this

guitar is Norlin if it is from 1974 as the seller claims? So if I ask him to give me the potentiometer codes we will be sure

about if it is from 1974 or 1975? One more thing, how can I( amateur in this field) be sure when I go to see guitar by myself if it is

made of honduran mahogany'

Thank you everyone for the help!

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

If it was a 1974 guitar, it would have an ABR-1 bridge. If it has a Nashville bridge it is surely made in 1975 or later.

Can You post a picture with a frontal view of the body?

Nashville on the left, ABR-1 on the right:

bridge_tail_before_after1.jpg

Anyways, 2500 EURs for a mid-70s Standard, in that condition, is very high even in our region.

Cheers... Bence

To me, this does not like quite right. The open book on the top of the headstock does not look kosher, and it does not look like the fret wire ends are covered by the binding. the pictures are pretty bad, so i could be wrong.

Hi everyone, here are the pics of the guitar sent from the seller.

The pictures are not very bright and his photo skills also [rolleyes]

Hope you can tell more from the pictures about the item, is it worth that money?

Thank you very much!

Archived