Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-500RC

Cougar

I just received this rare 12-fret Masterbilt. She's in very nice shape for a 2005. A few very small nicks in the top that can only be seen on close inspection. As expected, this girl really resonates. When I pluck a string, then dampen all the strings, there are still overtones coming out of this guitar. Talk about vibey!

I was really surprised when I sat down to tune her up. She didn't sit in my lap like my EFs. What the...? Oh yeah, #-o this is an Advanced Jumbo! I didn't notice that much difference until I sat down and put my arm around her. She is full-figured!

Pics will have to wait - taking the wife on a little spring break road trip....

Glad it arrived safely, and hope it continues to live up to your expectations.

Thanks, Red. Yes, the safe arrival was nice, particularly since it was just single boxed and inside an original Masterbilt case. [scared] It does sound very sonic and tonal, but somehow kind of mellow, too. It and the case need to be cleaned up a bit....

Thanks, Red. Yes, the safe arrival was nice, particularly since it was just single boxed and inside an original Masterbilt case. [scared] It does sound very sonic and tonal, but somehow kind of mellow, too. It and the case need to be cleaned up a bit....

Cougar,

I'm going to have to stop telling you about all these rare Masterbilts, you're buying them all! Seriously, congrats on your new Masterbilt.

You know we need pictures right...

I'm going to have to stop telling you about all these rare Masterbilts, you're buying them all! Seriously, congrats on your new Masterbilt.

Seriously, there are no more on my list! :rolleyes:

You know we need pictures right...

Yeah, I gotta take some pics....

what a beaut - i love the colour of the cedar top [thumbup]

Cougar

Very nice...and the bridge has already been re-glued, so you're good to go. Nice wide nut as well. They say those Cedar tops are more prone to dings than Spruce because its softer. Great pics, thanks for showing her.

Thanks guys. Yep, she's a beauty. And the tone is quite remarkable. I don't know how to describe tone. I've got to pull her strings and clean her up inside and out. There's some fuzz and other lint type stuff inside. Any danger in (carefully) sticking a vacuum attachment inside there and sucking it out?

Thanks guys. Yep, she's a beauty. And the tone is quite remarkable. I don't know how to describe tone. I've got to pull her strings and clean her up inside and out. There's some fuzz and other lint type stuff inside. Any danger in (carefully) sticking a vacuum attachment inside there and sucking it out?

Yikes I hope not as I've done that to all my guitars at one time or another. Nice new axe btw!

Indeed...I don't even like slotted headstocks, but dangit, that looks great!!!!

C'mon, it's that angle that adds to the exclamatory tone this model gets. ;) Along with bridge positioning, bracing, and a premium grade top, apparently.

Yikes I hope not as I've done that to all my guitars at one time or another. Nice new axe btw!

Thanks. I was hoping to get an answer to that. I've got to pull the strings and get this baby cleaned up. It's not bad, but needs some touchups and polish. The story is, the seller bought it a few months ago on craigslist from a guy in Palm Springs who reportedly got it new. I'd call it excellent shape for 10 years old.

Thanks, Mick. Love your avatar. The Goddess of the Sky!

Thanks - she's called Selket and I first saw her in a Tutankhamun exhibition. She guards the king's internal organs which were placed in a Canopic Chest. I was so struck by the caring pose. It made me think "hey they were just like us - almost 3 thousand years ago". Google her.

Archived