Gibson Brands Forums

I may have an Emperor Regent (Peerless) coming

barrymclark

Hello, all.

There is a 1996 Emperor Regent that I am just waiting to get the shipping info on. I have played one before and I very much dug it. I know the basics but I figured if anyone knew the particulars of these, someone on here would.

Could anyone tell me about the pickup? Just in general terms. I know it is a floating minibucker but is there a name-brand model (Duncan, etc) you might equate it to?

Thanks!

It's a generic Asian made floating minibucker. Most other pickup companies (Duncan, Fralin, Bartolini, GFS, Lollar, etc. make something similar, but each with its own nuances of tone.

For what it's worth, I've played several Emperor Regents and thought the pickups sounded fine --- brighter than the ones on my Korean Broadway, but very full. You may want to replace it with something else if you have a particular tone in mind, but give the stock one a good chance before making up your mind.

It's a generic Asian made floating minibucker. Most other pickup companies (Duncan, Fralin, Bartolini, GFS, Lollar, etc. make something similar, but each with its own nuances of tone.

For what it's worth, I've played several Emperor Regents and thought the pickups sounded fine --- brighter than the ones on my Korean Broadway, but very full. You may want to replace it with something else if you have a particular tone in mind, but give the stock one a good chance before making up your mind.

Didn't mean to mislead. I am not looking to switch it out. I have had VERY limited time on the ER plugged in. Just trying to get an idea of the flavor of pickup is all. :)

Pics of course when you get her. One of my favorites, plus we need eYe candy. What color is it? [thumbup]

Absolutely. I am awaiting shipping costs and then I will send the money. I am hoping it will all be taken care of to where I have it by mid next week.

20141201_111715_zpsrpz4u9ji.jpg

I searched for the right Regent myself for years and was never quite satisfied. Then I found this D'Angelico EXL 1 and I am a most happy fella.

WcDUFQV.jpg

I anxiously await hearing how yours works out for you!

I've known a couple of folks that picked up an EXL 1 and they've been very happy. I played an Emperor Regent for a bit a while back and I really liked it. I am sure I will be happy enough with it. :)

I have a 2010 ER in Natural, (this was just before they were disco'd from Epiphone) not sure if the pickup changed formulas at all, but it's got a pretty strong output (eg: it seems a bit louder compared side by side to my Broadway which has dual humbuckers) but overall it's a good sounding/performing pickup.

let us know how you make out. These are cool guitars, and for the money, they are usually pretty good buys.

On the sticker inside the body, there is typed "Emperor AS". Is it safe to assume that "AS" is the finish designation? If so, what does it stand for? Antique Sunburst or something? That would certainly seem to fit the finish that I see.

I bought one on the cheap today. It's en route so it'll be a week or so before I can assess it and begin tweaking. I've got a 1949 L48 and it may go on the block while I mull over a possible purchase of a Heritage Golden Eagle so the Epi will keep me quiet and maybe keep me from junping into something prematurely. The one I bought is a '96 Peerless that has warts and "improvements". The tuners were replaced with Pings and the old screw holes will need to be filled. The seller claims the neck "is starting to crack". I don't believe that to be the case; I think it's a finish crack from shrinkage at the heel. I won't know that for sure until it's in hand but that's my guess based on seeing it many times before. If it is a finsih crack, it's just a matter of hot super glue and a heck of a lot of buffing to make it go away. The stock Johnny Smith type pickup was replaced with some kind of floating EMG. I didn't even know they made floaters. The pickguard has been replaced and the knobs, even though I love them, just look weird on this guitar. I will tweak that mess and at the very least put smaller more unobtrusive knobs on it, if not replace the tortoise guard with a more sedate one. The wooden bridge was replaced with a tune-o-matic and the Frequensator tailpiece was replaced by a zig zag style.

So basically the only thing original is the wood!

I owned a '99 Peerless about 10 years ago and it was great, so I welcome the chance to own another one. I hope to fix the warts and neaten it up. The good news is that it was $200. For that price I can certainly take a few evenings and work the bugs out.

$_57.JPG

I bought one on the cheap today. It's en route so it'll be a week or so before I can assess it and begin tweaking. I've got a 1949 L48 and it may go on the block while I mull over a possible purchase of a Heritage Golden Eagle so the Epi will keep me quiet and maybe keep me from junping into something prematurely. The one I bought is a '96 Peerless that has warts and "improvements". The tuners were replaced with Pings and the old screw holes will need to be filled. The seller claims the neck "is starting to crack". I don't believe that to be the case; I think it's a finish crack from shrinkage at the heel. I won't know that for sure until it's in hand but that's my guess based on seeing it many times before. If it is a finsih crack, it's just a matter of hot super glue and a heck of a lot of buffing to make it go away. The stock Johnny Smith type pickup was replaced with some kind of floating EMG. I didn't even know they made floaters. The pickguard has been replaced and the knobs, even though I love them, just look weird on this guitar. I will tweak that mess and at the very least put smaller more unobtrusive knobs on it, if not replace the tortoise guard with a more sedate one. The wooden bridge was replaced with a tune-o-matic and the Frequensator tailpiece was replaced by a zig zag style.

I owned a '99 Peerless about 10 years ago and it was great, so I welcome the chance to own another one. I hope to fix the warts and neaten it up. The good news is that it was $200. For that price I can certainly take a few evenings and work the bugs out.

$_57.JPG

Love the dark burst on that, ksdaddy! And the ES-175 zigzag tailpiece suits it too!

$_57.JPG

Nice Vintage Sunburst. I saw this one recently. Now where was it . . . [thumbup]

What a beauty!

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$200?! Man... you should be ashamed of yourself! You STOLE that! haha. Well, assuming it is just a finish crack.

I hear you on the PG. I am considering having a more old school tort one cut out for mine when it arrives. Not an immediate thing... just something at some point. Maybe with the thumbwheel controls. I always come up with tons of ideas... and then it arrives. haha.

I had Paul Setzer in NC (known for his Gretsch repro pickguards) make up a good repro for my old 1948 Gretsch out of the vintage tort you can get from StewMac. It looks great. He is the guy I'd likely go to for redoing the Epi. Dunno. We shall see.

EMG makes good pickups. Super quiet in my experience. Although... never used a floater EMG. I knew they existed... just hadn't had the pleasure of using one.

...and I think you'll dig the Heritage GE. I have a pair of Heritage archtops and they are just great. Not a bad thing I could say about them.

Waiting for it to arrive so I can assess the "crack" (in quotes) is a little unnerving. But hey, $200 is cheap even if it's a REAL crack and needs to be repaired and the neck oversprayed. If it's just in the finish I will use hot superglue and wet sand/buff. I'll fill the extra tuner holes while I'm there. I want to make the best of it and clean it up as much as possible in the event I pull the trigger on the Heritage. My guitar funds will take a serious hit if I do buy it and I will be looking to flip some stuff to take up the slack. If I don't go for the Heritage I will at least have a good quality jazz box in the Epi.

I did own an '86 GE and I liked some things and disliked others. One thing that irked me was the squared off flattish frets. Maybe that was just the particular guitar.

Archived