Gibson Brands Forums

Check this out!

jannusguy

Oh it's custom alright. Looks like someone wanted to turn it in to a tenor guitar.

The original owner probably grew up playing tenors.

Maybe they thought, "How in the world do you play these new fangled 6 string geetars?" "I can fix that!"

Kinda like I feel about some of those new fangled 7 string guitars. :)

Ive seen a couple of guitars converted to tenor like this over the years of looking a photo of one had a note that this was usually done for a tenor player with smaller hands and still wanting the tone and volume. Actually the two I saw had been done very well not hatchet jobs at all but clearly done by a talented luthier so it must have been done a few times over the years

The only thing more stupid than what was done to this guitar is what someone will end up paying for it in it's present condition. Look, I dig old guitars too, and there have been times in the past when I would be embarassed to admit what I paid for something. However, this thing is at $760 right now, will likely go over $1000, and unless the provenance means anything, then either some tenor guitar player is going to have one seriously overpriced halfassed tenor Gibson, or Gibson's restoration department will be typing up a repair invoice with four digits ahead of the decimal point in about a year and a half.

No, hell no. Not when a new J45 (with SIX strings) can be bought for $1700 or so, maybe cheaper if the planets are aligned.

Looks like a J45 to me, vs. Southern Jumbo. I have never seen anybody cut down a neck like that, but back in the 50,s and 60,s people did add various sound hole pick-ups, and exterior top controles, ( home made J160s), but all I ever saw had the wireing installed under the top. This one looks like a real hachet job.

I now have my Dads LG-2, which the orginal owner, back in the 50s, installed a sound hole pick-up and top controles. It sounds great unplugged, but I would have never did this to a guitar.

Dale

Archived