Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Solid Formed Archtops

RevDavidLee

I must be late to this one because I just read about them & I'm trying to decipher the verbiage about these guitars off of Wildwood Guitars website (link below)

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson_custom_shop/featured_series/gibson_custom_solid_formed.htm

SF150006B.jpg

For over $6k I'm trying to figure out if the "using less wood" to make a guitar is a pleasing thought or not.

If there's already a thread on this - admin please delete this one [confused]

Thoughts???

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think by "less would" it is acheived because they don't have to shave away a larger slab, down to a top. Instead they take a piece already the correct thickness a press it into shape. So saving on the amount of wood used.

I have not played one , or seen one in person, so I reserve judgement on them. They look great from what I can tell, I am very interested.

They announced this a the NAMM Show as being a more affordable guitar due to the pressing technique but at six grand it's too rich for my blood.

Yes.

It's very nice, but nowhere near to affordable.

Cheers... Bence

What is their justification for such a price tag?!

One can't exactly say these are hand-made if they've been form pressed into shape; and the "hand-made" tag always puts costs up.

There is still plenty of hands on work done. The guitars are in ES175 price point, so an affordable option for players that are looking at that guitar. They were not about to release something to be in the Ibanez price range.

Solid spruce or mahogany pressed archtops have been around for a long time, but have become a rare sight in today's new guitar market.

One such animal in current production is the Guild A-150 Savoy. It features an X-braced solid spruce top, laminated figured maple back & sides, and single-coil floating DeArmond pickup. I happen to have the natural-finish version, and it's a well made instrument.

Interesting that this new Gibson apparently has a scarfed neck.

Interesting that the Gibson apparently has a scarfed neck.

Where are you seeing this? Can't see a join from the photos, or have you picked up on something in the specs I've missed?

Can't be paying that much money for a Guitar to have a scarfed neck, surely?

Where are you seeing this? Can't see a join from the photos, or have you picked up on something in the specs I've missed?

Read the provided text from the above linked page. Perhaps it's a different design altogether, but from the given descriptor, it sounds like some sort of scarfed neck arrangement. I'm sure we'll learn more about it in due time. If scarfed, the junction points would be hidden beneath the blackened finish areas of the neck.

"...features a very special neck that’s designed to use less wood yet be stronger while enhancing the guitar’s tone. The headstock is grafted to the neck shaft, which also runs in a continuous grain, insuring strength where a guitar is typically vulnerable and further enhancing the guitar’s overall sound performance. Where the neck meets the body, the heel block is precision glued to the neck shaft, and features a precision dovetail joint. The neck shaft is then glued into a matching dovetail joint in the body. Finally, to make the most of the Solid-Formed neck, a dual action truss rod insures complete flexibility in adjustment."

guitar-neck-scarf-joint-1-e1331225984314.jpg

Cheers... Bence

"...features a very special neck that’s designed to use less wood yet be stronger while enhancing the guitar’s tone. The headstock is grafted to the neck shaft, which also runs in a continuous grain, insuring strength where a guitar is typically vulnerable and further enhancing the guitar’s overall sound performance. Where the neck meets the body, the heel block is precision glued to the neck shaft, and features a precision dovetail joint. The neck shaft is then glued into a matching dovetail joint in the body. Finally, to make the most of the Solid-Formed neck, a dual action truss rod insures complete flexibility in adjustment."

guitar-neck-scarf-joint-1-e1331225984314.jpg

Cheers... Bence

What's that strange smell?..............

P.

I'm sniffing that my guitars and basses have a flawy neck providing inferior tone, just like all those coveted vintage instruments [rolleyes]

I think they mean affordable for a Gibson, which it is.

That'll look great on the Weekend Sale tag at GC: $5999.99 Affordable For A Gibson!

They'll move 'em out by the wheelbarrow full.

rct

I'm not buying (figuratively AND literally) the propaganda regurgitated in this description. How many "buzz" words and phrases can be put into a four paragraph write-up of a single guitar:

Solid-formed

Ve-netian cutaway

simple elegance

Eco-Friendly

Proprietary construction

impressive list of features

significant advancements

open tone

grain is redirected instead of severed

proprietary process that’s been in development for several years

Redesigned Neck-Less Wood

headstock is grafted to the neck shaft

precision glued

Tone that Lives and Breaths

Solid spruce or mahogany pressed archtops have been around for a long time, but have become a rare sight in today's new guitar market.

One such animal in current production is the Guild A-150 Savoy. It features an X-braced solid spruce top, laminated figured maple back & sides, and single-coil floating DeArmond pickup. I happen to have the natural-finish version, and it's a well made instrument.

Interesting that this new Gibson apparently has a scarfed neck.

Let's take a look at that Guild! [thumbup]

newark_street_mainimage_A150B_Savoy_blonde-1500x630.jpg

And here's the specs: (Comparatively priced at $1,149 which includes a case!)

OVERVIEW

Vintage jazz guitar tone and style from a brand that helped define it.

The elegant tone quality and design of this guitar will bring real satisfaction of ownership to the most critical player. A truly outstanding acoustic/electric, the A-150 Savoy is a pleasure to see and hear, pairing a wonderfully free-playing late-1950s Guild orchestra model with the distinctive addition of an exceptionally voiced DeArmond 1000 floating pickup. The welcome return of a true Guild classic.

FEATURES

Body Body Material: Solid Spruce Top with Laminated Flame Maple Back and Sides

Body Shape: Guild A-150

Body Back: Arched Laminated Flame Maple

Body Sides: Laminated Flame Maple

Body Top: Arched Solid Spruce

Body Finish: Gloss Urethane

Bracing: X Bracing

Purfling: Black/Ivory White

F Holes Sound Holes: Unbound F Holes

Body Depth: 3.125" (80mm)

Body Length: 21" (533mm)

Body Width Lower Bout: 17" (432mm)

Body Binding: Ivory White with Multiple Black/White Purfling

Neck Neck Shape: Vintage Soft "U"

Number of Frets: 20

Fret Size: Jumbo

Position Inlays: Pearloid Block

Fingerboard Radius: 9.45" (240mm)

Fretboard: Rosewood

Neck Material: 3-Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany

Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane

Nut Width: 1.650" (42mm)

Scale Length: 24.75" (628mm)

Headstock: Newark St.

Truss Rod: Dual-Action Head Adjust

Truss Rod Nut: Hex

Electronics Pickup Configuration: S

Neck Pickup: DeArmond 1000 "Rhythm Chief" Floating Archtop Pickup

Controls: Pickguard Mounted Volume

Hardware Hardware Finish: Nickel-Plated

Bridge: Compensated Rosewood with Rosewood Base

Tuning Machines: Grover Sta-Tite Die-Cast

String Nut: Bone

Pickguard: Opaque Plexi Pickguard with Guild Logo

Tools Truss Rod Wrench: Yes

Miscellaneous Strings: D'Addario ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light, (.012-.052 Gauges)

Unique Features: Single Cutaway Hollowbody; DeArmond 1000 "Rhythm Chief" Floating Pickup; Guild "Harp" Tailpiece; Chesterfield Headstock Inlay

Accessories Control Knobs: Clear Amber Mini Speed Knob

Includes case

I'm not buying (figuratively AND literally) the propaganda regurgitated in this description. How many "buzz" words and phrases can be put into a four paragraph write-up of a single guitar:

Solid-formed

Ve-netian cutaway

simple elegance

Eco-Friendly

Proprietary construction

impressive list of features

significant advancements

open tone

grain is redirected instead of severed

proprietary process that’s been in development for several years

Redesigned Neck-Less Wood

headstock is grafted to the neck shaft

precision glued

Tone that Lives and Breaths

Amen Larry & amen to all the other comments about the verbiage used in the description of these Gibson's and their attempt to make every justification possible to merit that price point. Incredible [cursing]

Mistakes happen.

I think this guitar is basically, a mistake someone at Gibson made thinking it would be worthwhile to build.

I can see where it would still be possible to spend enough effort on labor to make these at the 6k level. Can also see where it can likely be a well built, good sounding guitar.

But there isn't a market for this. And in fact, is OPPOSITE of what the 6k market expects. It even has the features of "cheap" that those in the market point to to justify the 6k market guitars.

That's if this thing actually exist. Having a hard time thinking it does. This reads more as false info to sell copies, or a joke, or a test.

Reserving judgement Gibson would build this.

Archived