Gibson Brands Forums

G Force tuning system - what kind of strings I'd better choose?

AMChezGibson

Hello,

I have a brand new Les Paul Studio 2015.

I usually play with the standard tuning and with the open E tuning.

G Force tuning system works fine (accurate and quick). Sometimes (not often), it takes a very long time for just one string; I do it manually, and the system finish the job.

I guess that if I'm in a noisy environment, it takes much time (do you have the same "issue"?).

Using the G Force, I've broken one string -don't remember which one-.

"The guy at the music store" told me to change the strings.

I bought nickel wound strings 10-46 (D'Addario XL).

To re-string, I did it the same way it's explained in the owner's manual.

With these new strings, I've also broken the A string. I play regularly, so it's not a big deal, but I try now to change the tuning the less I can to avoid any problem... It's sad, because I'd really like to try other tunings, but I don't wanna ear the "zzboinnng!" sound [scared] meaning that I need a new string again.

Any advice, experience would be appreciated.

(By the way, is there a owner's manual in French? It would be easier for me...)

Thanks,

have a good day ;)

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I've changed out my strings 4 times with no issue or breaks, My standard strings are GHS Boomers 9 to 46, and 9 to 42 if the other are out of stock. I've used 11 to 54 just one time for some very low tuned stuff A#. No issues there. So I don't know if it's the brand of strings or if it may be an issue with how your are stringing them up. You also have to recalibrate the G-Force system if you change string brand and size from what originally was on the guitar. Check your Zero Fret Nut to make sure there is not any burs on it. When the battery gets low on my g-force it takes longer to tune. even if the light says the battery is charged I would still recharge it. I have my tuner set for accuracy also not speed so i pick each string 1 at a time to tune. The gibson site has the g-force maunal but not in frence try looking for the Tronical tuning system manual because it's the g-force. the g-force on the new gibsons even say tronicle on them, you can buythem for other guitars now so it may be easier to find that manual in frence. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Min-ETune-fr.aspx

My "guess" is that it is not "bad" strings, but something else that is breaking them.

m

i agree. ive had my paul for just over a year now and ive put a staggering amount of aggressive playtime into it and yet to this day, i have never broken a string. ive had 4 different types (gibsons,ernie ball slinkys/cobalt, elixir, and now D'Addario w/wound G) i also switched the original stop bar for a bigsby and most recently switched out the nashville bridge for a schaller roller bridge. still with all the string/hardware/tuning changes i have yet to experience a single blowout.

id take note of which string(s) breaks and where it is breaking. you may have a sharp saddle....

about the problematic tuner, you shouldnt have to tune it manually and it shouldn't take long to get to pitch. since its brand new, id take advantage of the electronics warranty. contact gibson customer support and they may send you a new tuner.

This is a very interesting thread , as some of you know I have been having a few issues

With the g force system , the dealer had asked me if I had stretched or changed the strings. :rolleyes: .anyway it's on its way back to the dealer to see if they can sort it.Hopefully will they fit the new hardened nut [biggrin][biggrin] I do love this guitar and I have every confidence in GAK, I will keep you posted.

Also make sure you are locking the strings in correctly. They could be slipping at the tuners. The lighter strings may require more attention and extra string wound around the post before screwing the nuts on. Should be snug but don't over tighten those nuts.

Archived