Gibson Brands Forums

1994 Smeck Radio Grande Re-Issue

nid2007

Once again, I see we're looking at the same items on the menu. Steve Swan Guitars (Smeck Central?) had the rosewood '94 Smeck Radio Grande at his shop for quite a while. That one seems to have recently moved on to a new home. It was a natural finished one, and considering a preference here for a 'burst, especially on a 12 fret, it was not elevating GAS levels too terribly. One thing that stood out was it's fairly sharp V neck at the 1st frets, and some separation (finish only?) in the 3 piece neck lams.

• Sidenote: these are deep-bodied, no? Curious to know how the volume level would be here when that added body depth is combined with the rosewood. Lately, in comparing the deep-bodied Guild Orpheum 12 fret to other 12 frets, I'm beginning to wonder if the deeper body works better on a smaller guitar, like the Nick Lucas, where it already has projection on it's side.

Also- in a recent discussion on this Smeck re-ish, in reference to Steve's asking price ($2900?), a fellow forum member opined that the ask was a bit much. But those in search of 12-fret Gibson rosewood don't have much choice.

Mark Stutman of Folkway Music has a way with the lens, and he keeps photos available of guitars that have come through his shop; maybe practicing catch, record, and release. You must've seen this beauty:

1994 Gibson Roy Smeck Radio Grande Reissue formerly at Folkway

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-20%20at%205.28.42%20PM_zpscgocw3uw.png

Best of luck with the search

The 94 cent, Roy Smeck 12 fret Rosewood would be my choice over the Mohagany J Brown 12 fret.. I did notice with it.. it has a tad wider Nut than the Brown though. there were a couple Smecks made with Natural tops as well.

The 94 cent, Roy Smeck 12 fret Rosewood would be my choice over the Mohagany J Brown 12 fret.. I did notice with it.. it has a tad wider Nut than the Brown though. there were a couple Smecks made with Natural tops as well.

My J Browne is Walnut. I do have a Stage Deluxe that's mahogany, Totally different sounds. I wouldn't mind trying out the Radio Grande and I do prefer the burst over the natural. Although I have them, I'm not a fan of Gibson naturals. They do such a great job on the burst. The only Gibson rosewood I have are a J200 and a Centennial '34 Jumbo and I like the sound of both of them.

Buy it. You won't regret it. I played one and it was amazing. It was the guitar that opened the 12 fret dread door to me. Had never heard anything like it before. If you don't want to buy it, PM me where it is and I will buy it even though I have a rosewood JB prototype.

Buy it. You won't regret it. I played one and it was amazing. It was the guitar that opened the 12 fret dread door to me. Had never heard anything like it before. If you don't want to buy it, PM me where it is and I will buy it even though I have a rosewood JB prototype.

I would take that as a pretty good endorsement.

Mark Stutman of Folkway Music has a way with the lens, and he keeps photos available of guitars that have come through his shop; maybe practicing catch, record, and release. You must've seen this beauty:

1994 Gibson Roy Smeck Radio Grande Reissue formerly at Folkway

Best of luck with the search

The Folkway Smeck had an asking price of $2500, FYI.

It was the headstock crack that turned me away, and I spoke with them last week and no moving on the price because of the $ they have in the repair. I would love to play it and check it out, but not enough to purchase it so it gets sent to my local GC.

It was the one I was referring to in my original post. Sometimes posting to this site is my surest and most effective self help remedy for a GAS attack.

I've been to this store since they've had the Smeck but it was behind glass so I never bothered to play it. I might have to go check it out now.

• 2 years later...

Well hello again, and congrats! I, too, have been watching that one; the seller dropped his price by what, $300? An excellent get for you- 23 years of aging/curing. It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts on it . If I didn't already have it's bursted sibling, the Stage Deluxe Rosewood, I'da been bidding against you!. Post some photos when it gets home. Looking forward to hearing your impressions .

Nice catch!

Hopefully his description of the 3/16" string height at the 12th is a typo, but he does have a return policy which is good. I have a couple of their Centennial Guitar of the month and would like one of these. The few I've seen were not in good shape.

Anxious to hear how it turns out for you.

No small coincidence to see Dave and Jinder swing through on this topic. Wasn't it Mr. Jinder that had expressed some interest in the Nick Lucas, (maybe rosewood ?) ? In the side note in post #2, I was wondering if the smaller body of the Nick might punch the sound out a little better . . ? And Dave- haven't you got a Mystic Nick. . . as well as the Stage Deluxe Rose' ? That would be a great comparo vid (hint). Well, dreamin' is free; I guess we could settle for words on a screen [smile] .

No small coincidence to see Dave and Jinder swing through on this topic. Wasn't it Mr. Jinder that had expressed some interest in the Nick Lucas, (maybe rosewood ?) ? In the side note in post #2, I was wondering if the smaller body of the Nick might punch the sound out a little better . . ? And Dave- haven't you got a Mystic Nick. . . as well as the Stage Deluxe Rose' ? That would be a great comparo vid (hint). Well, dreamin' is free; I guess we could settle for words on a screen [smile] .

All but 3 of my guitars are in storage. Only RW to make the cut was a D41Special.

Nice catch!

Hopefully his description of the 3/16" string height at the 12th is a typo, but he does have a return policy which is good. I have a couple of their Centennial Guitar of the month and would like one of these. The few I've seen were not in good shape.

Anxious to hear how it turns out for you.

I really need to learn about measurements and put the measurements to memory. I didn't even think about it. But is a low enough price that if I otherwise like it, I can invest in a reset.

Those Smecks are BEAUTIFUL guitars.

I'm a huge Jackson Browne fan, and yes he loves his Smecks.

Interesting side note here: Last time I saw Jackson live (it was a couple of years ago here in Door County, Wisconsin) he had 35 guitars sitting on racks behind him. I have never seen anything like that before.

And the tone he got from his guitars was amazing...........

The Smeck arrived. It is great, I am very pleased. It compares very favorably to Fairbanks Smeck I previously owned, but with a fuller neck profile. And that is high praise. Maybe its the age (it is a '94), but it is much more open and responsive than the JB Signature and Stage Deluxe reissue I've had.

The condition is fine...maybe a little bellying, but it plays so well as is, I don't want to mess with it yet.

Mine is #37. The day the pic of Jackson up above was taken, my friend shot about 100 photos. If I zoom in on one particular shot, it appears Jackson's '94 reissue is number 38 or 39 (maybe 30).

Archived