Gibson Brands Forums

Differences Epiphone P-90R and P90 Pro

Funkyard

Since nobody else is coming forward I'll chime in with a theory, but keep in mind I don't actually know!

Judging from this Epi description of the ES339 they are the same:

Introducing the new Epiphone P-90R PRO

The Ltd. Ed. ES-339 P-90 PRO features Epiphone’s P-90R PRO “soapbar” pickup, a true recreation of the first generation of P-90 pickups found in Les Pauls. Epiphone P-90R PRO single-coil pickups are individually voiced for rhythm and lead and provide a huge variety of sound choices for the modern guitarist.

And to be even more specific, this from the Exclusive Run Epi Les Paul 56:

Epiphone continues its long history of innovation with the introduction of the 1956 Les Paul Standard PRO featuring Epiphone's P-90 PRO pickups made to the original specifications of vintage P-90s including bobbin shape, 18% nickel/silver base and Elektrosola wire. The 1956 Les Paul Standard PRO packs a powerful punch with classic P-90 tone to the bone.

Epiphone P-90 PRO Pickups:

The Epiphone 1956 Les Paul Standard PRO now features P-90 PRO pickups for that one-of-a kind vintage Les Paul sound. Epiphone P-90 PRO pickups feature Alnico V magnets, the same magnets used in sought-after vintage Les Paul with P-90s from the early 1950s. Alnico V magnets provide a rich, warm tone with a sparkling high end and a solid low end which makes the 1956 Les Paul Standard PRO one of the most versatile guitars around. Epiphone uses only the highest quality parts for its PRO pickups, including ABS plastic bobbins, 1010 Cold Rolled Steel pole shoes and pole screws, Alnico magnets, and the finest magnet wire available.

With Gibson's P94s, they do in fact come as P94R, for rhythm, or neck position, as well as P94T for treble, or bridge position. I am figuring that P90R is the same. It's a P90 pickup intended for use in the rhythm, or bridge position. Maybe someone else come along and add to the discussion.

I chose to go with the Epiphone 56 Limited over the Epiphone 56 Goldtop simply because they added the 'Pro' pickups, and I am glad that I did. They are warm and punchy both at any volume.

Archived