Gibson Brands Forums

Question.

splake

I have seen a 1942 J-35 made in, if I recall, 1942 with a near opaque yellow finish. I actually almost bought it as it needed some work and as such was deeply discounted but I came up a day late and a dollar short. Kind of reminded me of an early Tele. Very rare though and I am not sure if they popped up in any other years. Don't know if any of the J-50s that were made in 1942 had that finish though.

Here's my J-50 family photo. 1965 on the left, 1974 center and 2008 on the right. I got the 74 when it was new, and you might find this difficult to believe, but it was the same color as the 2008 back then. I just recently acquired the 1965 so I don't know what it looked like new, but I have no reason to think it wasn't like the 2008.

Also, are you basing your assessment of the color on actually seeing the guitar in person, or are you comparing pictures? That can be very deceptive. For starters, color balance can be different between photos. But I am fascinated by the way guitar finishes polarize light. Depending on the direction of the light source and location of the camera, the same guitar can look completely different.

j50family.jpg

color balance can be different between photos. But I am fascinated by the way guitar finishes polarize light. Depending on the direction of the light source and location of the camera, the same guitar can look completely different.

Look at the the top two pictures in this J-15 NGD thread for a perfect example of what I was talking about. You might think these were two different guitars with different finishes! :) http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/120750-ngd-j15/

Archived