Gibson Brands Forums

Question for IB64 Texan owners...

cliffenstein

I noticed yesterday that there's no seam strip on the lower bout area where the sides meet. This is where the strap button/plug in hole is. On mine it's just a seam line where the laminated sides are glued together. My AJ220S has a solid dark line of 1/8th inch (or so) material covering that seam.

Is your IB64 Texan like mine or does it have a strip over the seam?

Anyone with an original 60's era Texan...how about yours?

Mine is the same as yours

Can we make this our "Texan Obsession" thread too?

Mine has the naked seam too and talking of obsession, when I looked I noticed I could not only see the join but I could also feel the join!!! Aaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

Cliffenstein, just play it and stop looking at it will you! You are bound to notice something else and drive us all mad................

Yep! Haha. I'm guessing the original Texans had the seam like that, too. Why cover it on the AJ-220S but not the Texan?

I play it every day, Mick! I only noticed it because when the shop was working on it I looked over and there it was!

Yep! Haha. I'm guessing the original Texans had the seam like that, too. Why cover it on the AJ-220S but not the Texan?

I play it every day, Mick! I only noticed it because when the shop was working on it I looked over and there it was!

It's time to call in Fox Mulder!

Mystery solved! The original Texans didn't have the seam covered either, so Epiphone was keeping with the design of the original era of these guitars:

Here's the same area of a 1966 Texan for reference:

Epiphone_texan_1966_cons_tail_1.jpg

And here's one from 1967:

ktzbljdllkhfw2dvuobj.jpg

Mystery solved! The original Texans didn't have the seam covered either, so Epiphone was keeping with the design of the original era of these guitars:

Pppphhhheeeeeewwwwwww! thank goodness for that - I was getting paaaarrrrraaanoid.

Oh! - by the way - when looking over the Texan (my new one) I noticed a slight twist to the headstock - The neck is fine but there is a twist on the head. I looked this up on the net and it seems to be quite common.

Any body else noticed a twist?

Archived