Gibson Brands Forums

Software updates for OS X 10.10 Yosemite?

ScruffyCatHerdr

I've had a 2010 LP Standard Limited for several years now, but I've only recently purchased the RIP gen2 interface for it.

None of the other software bundled for this guitar & RIP interface work on Mac OS X 10.10. Has anyone else had better luck?

The RIP Interface (Echo firewire console) and Chameleon tone editor versions that are posted on gibson.com will install but both UIs are garbled on Yosemite.

I was able to find a newer version of the Echo Firewire console that seems to work at http://echoaudio.com/pages/mac-os-x-software (I presume that they are the OEM). I haven't managed to get the individual string channels to work though (I really don't understand how that can work at all, given the the connection between the guitar and RIP is analog stereo. By definition there are only 2 signals).

I've not had any luck finding updates for the Chameleon tone editor.

The version of Guitar Rig Pro that is included won't even install on OS X 10.10. An update to Guitar Rig Pro 5 would do the trick here.

I didn't bother with Ableton, since I have a newer version already. While it would be nice to save some $ on licenses, neither of these are tightly coupled with the guitar or RIP interface. Off the shelf versions of similar software should be fine.

Has anyone else had luck working with the robot software/tools on Yosemite? Has Gibson been making maintaing the software for the older robot guitars?

Thanks,

ScruffyCatHerder

Gibson 2010 Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Robot

Gibson Custom Shop CS-336 carved flame-top

2013 Fender Select Series Jazzmaster HH

Charvel San Dimas Wild Card #4

those models are discontinued so i would expect any support or updates for any software. im guessing the only reason they still offer parts for those guitars is because they just had a whole lot extra.

sometimes there are people out there that write their own updates and such for older gear. id search around for that. if you really want to use the software. look into running a virtual OS on your computer. This way you can load up any old OS and use software/hardware that isn't supported anymore. there is sure to be a TON of choices out there for virtual OS's. Take some time and research. don't waste any time waiting for legit updates.

good luck!

A limited edition guitar is discontinued by definition. I appreciate the sentiment, but I disagree.

While personal computers and software operate in a market of continuous planned obsolescence, a quality guitar is expected to last as long as it is well maintained. Less than 5 years does not qualify as an 'old' guitar. A well maintained high quality Gibson guitar will appreciate over time, not depreciate.

I'm not concerned about the third party software. I fully expect them to go through standard upgrade & deprecation cycles. It becomes a problem when functionality of the actual guitar depends on the software in order to operate.

Imagine if you had a mint '59 LP, but oh, sorry, the tone and volume controls are deprecated and no longer supported.

Gibson's reputation is founded on the quality and lifetime durability of their guitars. They've done some amazing work integrating modern technology into their guitars, but making guitar features completely dependent on proprietary software is a design flaw. It forces Gibson to either maintain that software indefinitely, or admit that the product has a limited shelf life. The Gibson reputation will degrade rapidly if their guitars start losing features every few years.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that this is a difficult problem. The trick is ensuring that all of the guitar functionality is operable without a specific version of an OS and application. I can think of a few potential designs that would ensure that guitar features are not lost over time without requiring the combinatorial explosion of

A VM may be feasible for a short period of time, but it's not a long term solution. Over time, specific operating system versions become harder and harder to obtain. I imagine that it would be very difficult to find a working VM image for Windows for WorkGroups 3.1.11 today. It will be similarly difficult (potentially impossible) to find a VM image of OS X 1.0.9.4 or Windows Vista SP Foo in a few years.

For what it's worth, I am one of those 'people out there that write their own updates.' In order for that to work, Gibson would need to release the source code for the chameleon editor as open-source.

- SCH

A limited edition guitar is discontinued by definition. I appreciate the sentiment, but I disagree.

While personal computers and software operate in a market of continuous planned obsolescence, a quality guitar is expected to last as long as it is well maintained. Less than 5 years does not qualify as an 'old' guitar. A well maintained high quality Gibson guitar will appreciate over time, not depreciate.

I'm not concerned about the third party software. I fully expect them to go through standard upgrade & deprecation cycles. It becomes a problem when functionality of the actual guitar depends on the software in order to operate.

Imagine if you had a mint '59 LP, but oh, sorry, the tone and volume controls are deprecated and no longer supported.

Gibson's reputation is founded on the quality and lifetime durability of their guitars. They've done some amazing work integrating modern technology into their guitars, but making guitar features completely dependent on proprietary software is a design flaw. It forces Gibson to either maintain that software indefinitely, or admit that the product has a limited shelf life. The Gibson reputation will degrade rapidly if their guitars start losing features every few years.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that this is a difficult problem. The trick is ensuring that all of the guitar functionality is operable without a specific version of an OS and application. I can think of a few potential designs that would ensure that guitar features are not lost over time without requiring the combinatorial explosion of

A VM may be feasible for a short period of time, but it's not a long term solution. Over time, specific operating system versions become harder and harder to obtain. I imagine that it would be very difficult to find a working VM image for Windows for WorkGroups 3.1.11 today. It will be similarly difficult (potentially impossible) to find a VM image of OS X 1.0.9.4 or Windows Vista SP Foo in a few years.

For what it's worth, I am one of those 'people out there that write their own updates.' In order for that to work, Gibson would need to release the source code for the chameleon editor as open-source.

- SCH

You're not going to see a lot of support from Gibson on this. A few years back I came very very close to buying a Dark Fire Les Paul as I love all that it was capable of in MIDI applications. But after spending a month or so looking up information on the guitar it was clear to me that Gibson had no intention of dong proper tech support or even giving in depth looks into hat capabilities of the guitar. If there was going to be any major on line library of information about the guitar it would have to be researched and written by the users themselves. The problem is that most of the guys who bought the Dark Fire are guitar players, not tech geeks. So the user content isn't generated.

I'm hoping that you see this issue through to the end and write about your progress here so others can learn from your experience.

You're not going to see a lot of support from Gibson on this. A few years back I came very very close to buying a Dark Fire Les Paul as I love all that it was capable of in MIDI applications. But after spending a month or so looking up information on the guitar it was clear to me that Gibson had no intention of dong proper tech support or even giving in depth looks into hat capabilities of the guitar. If there was going to be any major on line library of information about the guitar it would have to be researched and written by the users themselves. The problem is that most of the guys who bought the Dark Fire are guitar players, not tech geeks. So the user content isn't generated.

I'm hoping that you see this issue through to the end and write about your progress here so others can learn from your experience.

I will update here if I make any progress.

Since you mentioned the DarkFire, I noticed this gem a few days ago: http://media.gibson.com/DarkFire/Manuals/DarkFireOwnerLetter.pdf

Dear Dark Fire owner,

One of the best aspects of Dark Fire is that it is

software-based. As the Dark Fire community makes

suggestions, and Gibson enhances functionality, these

changes can be incorporated into Dark Fire without

the need to return the guitar to the factory or hire a

technician.

Archived