Gibson Brands Forums

Tune-O-Matic replacement

St-Eek

Hi guys,

I have LPJ2013 on which I want to replace the Tune-O-Matic bridge with a black one.

Bought one from ebay that had the correct sizes of the bridge measurements but the problem comes from the brushings that are inserted into the guitar.

Mine are with diameter 13mm and all other that are being sold are 12mm. (see the attached photo)

Anyone has an idea from where to find a good one ?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Milen

post-69358-030938100 1427187574_thumb.jpg

Hello Milen and welcome to the Forums!

When buying bridges and tailpieces for a modern Gibson, make sure You are buying direct Nashville replacements.

Often, sellers do state, whether the bridge is made to fit a Gibson, or an import (Epiphone) guitar.

The bridge on the picture looks like an Epiphone unit.

Gibson bridge dimensions:

Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.jpg

Epiphone dimensions:

Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Hello Milen and welcome to the Forums!

When buying bridges and tailpieces for a modern Gibson, make sure You are buying direct Nashville replacements.

Often, sellers do state, whether the bridge is made to fit a Gibson, or an import (Epiphone) guitar.

The bridge on the picture looks like an Epiphone unit.

Gibson bridge dimensions:

Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.jpg

Epiphone dimensions:

Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Bence thanks for posting those dimensions.....I never noticed that the holes in the bridge taper......I will be looking for that on next string change...

Hello Hpharley90!

Please note, that these are Gotoh's specs.

They are direct replacements for the correspondingly branded instruments, so specs in general ought to be the same with those.

But, slight deviations might be encountered, such as the taper You have pointed out to.

Cheers... Bence

No they aren't Gotoh on that guitar.

The drawings above are from StewMac site. They were below Gotoh bridges, which are direct replacements. But I also found the same drawings at other brands too, so it might be an official Gibson(?). Anyways, they are correct for Gibson guitars with Nashville units.

"...tailpiece for solidbody guitars, with height-adjustable metric (M8 x 1.25) or U.S. (5/16-24) threaded mounting studs and knurled bushings." Again, from the product description of a Gotoh product.

Gotoh_Stop_Tailpiece.jpg

Cheers... Bence

I own a 2013 LPJ myself. I was under the impression the bridge and tailpiece were Nashville type as well. I purchased an aftermarket brass saddle bridge supposed to fit all US Gibson guitars (Nashville) but just got a call today from my tech telling me the new bridge will not fit. I am trying to get ahold of Gibson tech support to get the exact specs on the bridge. Any ideas?

No they aren't Gotoh on that guitar.

The drawings above are from StewMac site. They were below Gotoh bridges, which are direct replacements. But I also found the same drawings at other brands too, so it might be an official Gibson(?). Anyways, they are correct for Gibson guitars with Nashville units.

"...tailpiece for solidbody guitars, with height-adjustable metric (M8 x 1.25) or U.S. (5/16-24) threaded mounting studs and knurled bushings." Again, from the product description of a Gotoh product.

Gotoh_Stop_Tailpiece.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Thanks but this measurement are not correct. The bushing size here is 11mm and mine are 13mm

Hello!

Did You remove the tailpiece bushings, or You measured them in place? The knurled end is wider, of course.

That's interesting. Now, it's Gibson's turn...

Cheers... Bence

Hi,

Yes I removed the bushings from the guitar and measured them

Hello again!

I googled for Gibson tailpiece specs.

I have found Schaller's drawings:

GitarrenSteg_StopSaitenhalter.jpg

The bushing size is almost the same. Well, by 0.08 mm narrower on this one, at the knurled end...

Cheers... Bence

Archived