Gibson Brands Forums

les paul R8 weight

giordydiver

In my belief, most guitarists would consider this a desirable weight for a Les Paul. The guitar should feel fine and be nicely balanced despite of the fat neck. I didn't find any neck-heavy Les Paul up to now. If she plays and sounds nicely, there's nothing wrong with it.

To me it is about the sound. I like to play them unplugged and see if the sound resonates up and down the neck and through my hands and chest. Personally I like them right around 8.5lbs but that is about feel not tone. My R8 is 8.62lbs. My guess is that at 8.15lbs the tone would be very bright and airy.

that weight is perfect for a "typical" R8. Many are around the 9 lb range. For years dealers selling heavier guitars equated great tone with heavier weight....not true.

I have owned heavy Historic Les Pauls with both great tone and weight way over 9 lbs. I've also owned lighter ( my current 2014 R8 is 7 lbs 14 oz. and it s not weight relieved!!) Historic Les Pauls It happens to be the best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

I had an R7 that was 8 1/2 pounds and it was a tone turd. It should have been destroyed before it left the factory!!!!!

So, to answer your question, stay with something under 9 lbs if you can help it. Your back and shoulder will thank you. If you're ok with a heavier ( or lighter) Les Paul, then fine. The sound and feel should be deciding factors anyway.

Let us know how you make out and if/when you get make sure you post some photos..!!!!

Archived