Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson beater - is there such a thing ?

EuroAussie

Just wondering if you'd take a Gibson around a treat it like a beater - be happy to have it thrown around in the truck, passed around by the campfire, greasy BBQ. You know basically, what beaters are for.

Is such a thing possible ?

Dont think I could do it, have the Cort for that.

You folks ..?

Used to be my $99 Great Divide guitar, but action is starting to go into high orbit, so now my Alvarez, but when conditions are "ok" ts my J-45 TV is begining more and more to fullfill the outdoor, camfire, use but not abuse, go-to - guitar.

J-45MtSopris.jpg

I would love to take the 1965 CW to a summer-cottage weekend with friends, let it pass between random players, see it lean against a tree and the top lit up by the camp fire.

Ain't gonna happen - other guits will have to take that challange, , , and they probably all be 'voluters'. . .

Any guitar worth it's salt can be (and should be) lugged around and played both at the campfire and Carnegie Hall. If it's a hothouse flower, then the former is out. If it's a piece of crap, then the latter is out. I like guitars that fill both roles.

I know, Gibsons are expensive. You worked hard for that guitar and I certainly appreciate that. You don't want to put it in harms way. I just have an 'ideal' and anything that doesn't fit is a distant second best.

A 'beater' Gibson.... yes. There are many. Consider a 1993 Gospel with a repaired headstock crack and a repaired side split. A $400 guitar, yes? Yet it's a Gibson. A Gibson that's already had a rough go of it and the "bloom is off the rose" so to speak. it's not desirable to a collector or the used market for that matter. Yet it's a Gibson with Gibson meat and potatoes and soul.

There's your Gibson beater.

A lot of guitars we cherish and keep now were once someone else's beater.

That's a good question.

I find that some "cheap" guitars I once used as beaters I have become attached to, and are no longer expendable. Some stuff too hard to get or replace, and has become also valueable, so letting them get damaged is like throwing away money, even if I don't like it all that much.

Maybe Gibson should make a "campfire" model. There's an idea.

Groovy shot, KS -

said the man who once got his Norlin J-50 kicked out of his arms while sitting street buskin' on some granite stair in the center of town. .

Maybe Gibson should make a "campfire" model. There's an idea.

Isn't that the J-15. . .

My J-50 is about to be relegated to more in-harms-way occasions. I can't bring myself to call it a beater because I don't feel that way about it. But I figure it's meant to be played and it's insured in the eventuality that something destructive were to occur. I do have another Gibson that I wouldn't even think of exposing to rainstorms or drunks so I can see the point of protecting some guitars.

My J-45 has become my out of the house/travel guitar. I've taken it to Fur Peace Ranch the past two years and will again this year. People ask to play it and I oblige. I want people to get to know first hand how good of a guitar a Gibson can be. Jorma asked last year and picked out a couple of tunes on it. How often do you get to have a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer play your Gibson? That's a nice memory right there that wouldn't have happened if I kept it at home.

My J-45 has become my out of the house/travel guitar. I've taken it to Fur Peace Ranch the past two years and will again this year. People ask to play it and I oblige. I want people to get to know first hand how good of a guitar a Gibson can be. Jorma asked last year and picked out a couple of tunes on it. How often do you get to have a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer play your Gibson? That's a nice memory right there that wouldn't have happened if I kept it at home.

1) so that's how you got so good!

2) I'd give 3 toes to go to Fur Peace when and if Bromberg is there, and play tunes with him.

BK - I love the way your mind works.

Thanks Dan!

Nobody has ever said that to me before!

The beater question is a good one that I have agonised over in the past - a couple of guitarists I know have the 'Reverse Midas' condtion that renders new guitars to their indivual pieces in a short couple of strums, with new strings turned old by the end of a song...I kid you not!

So short story made long - the Boss was looking for a cheapo dog friendly rug in a discount shop and I headed to the pawn shop next door - she caught up with me looking at a Samick dread along the row of junkers, I strummed it and the salesguy pounced....I asked how much and his reply was exactly what she had paid for the rug she found, so believing in omens, I bought it.

Now it went to a few outdoor things, including played at a strange funeral service in the hills on a rock, and then one day I thought I would get my guitar techie to get it playing better. Ha! Setup, bone nut and saddle and u/s pickup cost 4 times the price of the guitar, and it was great to play!!!

A guy I knew in my childhood was telling me, at another funeral, that he envied me keeping playing and he wanted to re-learn, so a few days layer I sent the Samick to him...

And the phone rang about 3 minutes later.....'Are you coming to the outdoor jam in.....?' No beater....

So later I got a Hummingbird copy, which has been played outside here a bit, but never left the house because....it sounds crappy.

Agony - which to take - I went to a friend's house with the LG1 and a car nearly ran into the back of me with a huge screech of brakes..close one....guitar would have worn it, so.......

Pristine J45....unlikely.....Blues King L-00....unlikely..Martins......nope.

National Tricone wins the job - pristine but built like a tank and could also be used as a club in a tough situation.......

BluesKing777.

Just wondering if you'd take a Gibson around a treat it like a beater - be happy to have it thrown around in the truck, passed around by the campfire, greasy BBQ. You know basically, what beaters are for.

Is such a thing possible ?

Dont think I could do it, have the Cort for that.

You folks ..?

REALLY! My '46-'47 LG3...or 2 (refinished) would fill the bill. I have traveled with it by car multiple times from NC to FLA....played fish-frys, etc.and she never falters or disappoints! $ 1500 with a hardcase ........half the price of an original finish and twice the 'tone'....PM me! I I can send you pics. I have owned this guitar for 18 years....solid! want to buy a National and need to get some capital.

REALLY! My '46-'47 LG3...or 2 (refinished) would fill the bill. I have traveled with it by car multiple times from NC to FLA....played fish-frys, etc.and she never falters or disappoints! $ 1500 with a hardcase ........half the price of an original finish and twice the 'tone'....PM me! I I can send you pics. I have owned this guitar for 18 years....solid! want to buy a National and need to get some capital.

Ha! That reminds me - we watch old re-runs of MASH instead of the news at 7pm - we both work on computers and see the online news, so don't want to see the same old..

They have gone back to the very first episodes again for a re-run of the re-runs, about 1972???? I think. I look up at the sound of a guitar and it is Loudon Wainwright iii playing a Gibson LG2 - there have been a couple of episodes with him now....I doubt I would have even looked at an acoustic in 1972.. .but no!!!! Only a nutcase Gibson LG3 owner would get excited, but you know....

Some little bits on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baBfxpeLl8w

BluesKing777.

This was the idea I had in my head when I got my J 35, then I found out it is way to nice for a beater. The idea was that it was a lot like my J 45 but I wouldn't care as much about it, I was wrong. I am not sure I would use my Epiphone masterbuilt for a beater either, although way more likely than the J 35. The Epi is the only one I leave out on the stand when not in use. This might be a great reason to look into the new Masterbuilt AJ 45. Then the Epiphone that doesn't sound as good as the other gets the call when the beater is needed.

1) so that's how you got so good!

2) I'd give 3 toes to go to Fur Peace when and if Bromberg is there, and play tunes with him.

Now I wouldn't call myself "so good" ever but thanks for the nice words Sal!

You should go to FPR no matter who is teaching. It's freakin' awesome!

NO

Reason is a "beater" has nothing to do with age or condition or where you play it but a frame of mind. A beater is that guitar you are willing to subject to having the bridge shaved or a kamikaze neck reset to make it playable. It has to be able to be replaced without too much trouble, not necessarily by the same model but by something that can easily fill its shoes. But mainly, a beater is guitar that while you do not necessarily abuse it, it tends to be more worry free. You will put it in the back seat of a car without a case, walk around with it slung over your shoulder, or leave it propped up against a chair when you go to make a sandwich even with kids running loose.

Well, a long time ago, in a land far away . . .

Stupid me! My 1967 CJ developed an S warp in the neck and the bridge intonation was not correct. So, being a LOT younger and dumb, I decided to "fix" it myself. Well, as you can see, most of the neck inlays are gone. I sanded down the neck, had a big loop of fret wire and cut the frets, and replaced the bridge myself. Well, it looks crappy, but this little thing plays and sounds great. And, the intonation is spot on! It's not pretty, but I wouldn't trade it. I think this would qualify for a "beater" just by looks alone!

Gibson%20CJ.jpg

Well, a long time ago, in a land far away . . .

Wow - I love the look of this guitar. The most cühl modifications - the withheld parallelograms somehow really rocks. .

In relation to Mike Selmers Bird-thread, we have to ask : Is this 67'er a long or short scale ?

Question 2 is of course if we can hear the sweet thing. . .

Archived