Gibson Brands Forums

FT-147 NECK BLOCK REPAIR

btdavis

• 4 months later...

Thanks! However, my 147 doesn't have a serial plate on back. It's just a solid piece. No idea how to remove the neck.

Have you got a pic?

There were some upscale versions of the FT145 with bolt-on neck (though the back) that had other ways of attaching the neck.

The 147 MAY be one of them.

IF memory serves me, and sometimes it don't.... One version had a neck that fit into a dado.. maybe it's called a mortise and tennon (not a dove tail). Then at assembly the was a bolt/lag bolt, that fit through the neck side of the guitar side with the bolt parallel to the neck. The bolt fit through a hole at the top of the guitar (through the side). A nut secured the bolt on the inside... kind of like a current production Taylor. The nut or bolt head is visible through the sound hole, below the fingerboard. Before assembly, the joint was slathered with glue. The neck was then installed, adjusted, then bolted tight before the glue set. Removal of the bolt / nut then loosening the original glue would probably separate the neck. Again... IF MEMORY SERVES ME. I've never seen this set-up, only read reference to it.

Archived