Gibson Brands Forums

Wire push pull pickups to standard

A few weeks ago I received my new LP Signature T and it has push/pull coil tapping. I am going to replace the pots and standard wire the pickups. The only issue is I am not sure on the wiring.

Both have a white, red, green, black, and thin silver bare wire. As you can see from the picture some connect on the lugs and some on the top.

The white and green are together on top

The black and bare silver are together and connected to the ground. That one is easy.

The red is on a lug by itself

If I am looking at this right then I should be able to combine the white, red, and green to a single lug? Although I have seen were 2 are connected and tucked away and there is only one wire leading to the pot lug.

Then silver and black to ground?

lpwire_sm.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Donnie

Hello Donnie, if you plan using 300 kOhms linear volume pots for some reason, this downgrade would make sense.

If you want to replace the pots with 500 kOhms audio tapered like the stock ones, I recommend considering to just leave the circuitry alone. Simply don't use the coil split switches. Why decrease the guitar's value and usefulness?

Just unsolder the green and white from the switch but leave them attached and insulate them. They're the north coil finish and the south coil finish that put both coils in humbucking mode. The switches ground them for single coil mode.

There actually looks to be a third grouping of wire. I would say this is the switch.

The reason for the change is I am left handed so this guitar is going to stay with me as it was very hard to find. And I have no use for the split coil tapping stuff. Plus I want to experiment with various configurations and eventually change my pups for some "whole lotta humbuckers".

It also came with a G-FORCE tuning thing. That is going also.

• 2 months later...

Can I ask why you would do this instead of just not using the added feature?

I am not criticizing, I am just wondering as it seems to be a lot of effort to reduce the options at your fingertips.....

Archived