Gibson Brands Forums

Humbuckers - Gibson 496R and 500T

drzing

So, after trying a bunch of pickups and finally settling down with the tone of my two

favourite guitars, I found a couple humbuckers I had not come to try in my search for

tone, some sort of a classic match, the Gibson 496R and 500T humbuckers, I felt like

testing them as to fix my LP's wiring.

That LP had an old 490R and a vintage 498T that sounded awesome, and matched very well

my kind of sound (heavy, slow), now this new set feels like... Well, if I turn all volume

and tone pots to 7~8, it will sound about like my previous set.

These pickups are very loud (specially the 500), both of them have quite an output and a

nice gain to themselves, its easy to overdo with these guys.

I wonder what they had in mind when they came up with these pickups?

Anyways, it was a very nice surprise, lets see how long until I miss the old chromed

pair.

• 2 weeks later...

Got bored off these black ugly loud mofos, going to put back in my old chromed 490R/498T set.

They got a lot of punch, but not too much personality.

I mean, they're good in many aspects, just a bit tasteless.

Ack. I knew it wouldnt last.

• 1 month later...

I've tried the 500t an 496r on a les paul classic at the guitar store. it's the most modern sounding gibson pickups i think. theyre high output with good mids a presence. its a ceramic pickup so it sounds brighter than the 498t

I've tried the 500t an 496r on a les paul classic at the guitar store. it's the most modern sounding gibson pickups i think. theyre high output with good mids a presence. its a ceramic pickup so it sounds brighter than the 498t

Archived