Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my 2014 SG

monteray

Help. I recently bought a 2014 SG Standard from Guitar Center. I'm having an extremely difficult time keeping the G string tuned for more than 5 minutes. I've had a local luthier do a complete setup with new strings, bridge adjustment, frets dressed, truss rod adjustment, etc.. and the new G string acts the same as the original factory strings that came with the guitar. I've also brought back to GC to have them look at it. I've used different tuners to compare, Snarks and Intellitouch. You can actually hear and see the string go out of tune on both brands of tuners. It's very frustrating because the guitar plays really nice. I only have two weeks left to return it in the evnt this issue can't be resolved. I'm curious to know if anybody else has run into this type of issue and can offer any suggestions.

If you told your local "luthier" about this and the guitar came back this way, take him out of your rolodex.

Find a nail file or emerey board, Mrs or yer grrllie has one. Or a borrow a set of tip clenaers from a welder. You could also take a piece of fine sand paper and fold it in half so there are two sides that sand.

Spend 30 seconds with the file, emery, the right size tip cleaner(you'll know), or the folded sandpaper in the nut slot, back and forth, gently, against the sides. Look for some powder from the nut, a little, that'll tell you you did something. Don't try to make it deeper, don't try to change that part yet, just try to get the sides opened just a smidge.

Tune the guitar, see how it is. If still wonky, repeat above until it doesn't do that.

You are quite welcome.

rct

If you told your local "luthier" about this and the guitar came back this way, take him out of your rolodex.

Find a nail file or emerey board, Mrs or yer grrllie has one. Or a borrow a set of tip clenaers from a welder. You could also take a piece of fine sand paper and fold it in half so there are two sides that sand.

Spend 30 seconds with the file, emery, the right size tip cleaner(you'll know), or the folded sandpaper in the nut slot, back and forth, gently, against the sides. Look for some powder from the nut, a little, that'll tell you you did something. Don't try to make it deeper, don't try to change that part yet, just try to get the sides opened just a smidge.

Tune the guitar, see how it is. If still wonky, repeat above until it doesn't do that.

You are quite welcome.

rct

This.

Ninety some percent of tuning problems are the nut. I used to have bad tuning problems with one of my SG until I got the nut slots properly cut. After you clean out the slot as rct recommended, might want to look into some type of lube for it. I use Big Bends Nut Sauce since I also abuse a Bigsby. It helps.

Good luck!

Do you "stretch" the strings after putting a new set on? By that I mean,,after you put new set on,,tune to 440A,,or whatever you tune to,,and bend the ##$$#$%*& out of the strings, individually,, one at a time ,like your doing overbends when you play leads,,not pulling them up and away from the fret board. Do this after you put new set on and tune,,and see just how much the strings stretch out. Re-tune,,stretch again,,retune,,and after a few times the strings will "settle" and stay in tune,,at least thats always worked for me. Try it out,,doesnt cost any$$ to try it!

Archived