Gibson Brands Forums

Best budget Epi acoustic?

nick_s

Evening all :)

The time is almost right for me to get another acoustic to replace my dearly departed Taylor 810ce. I'd be looking to spend no more than £300, and am looking for guidance as to decent Epi models. Dreadnought sized, ideally cut away (but not critical). I prefer brighter tones over bass heavy.

What say you fine people?

[thumbup]

Well, for 300 whatevers <grin>, there are different strokes for different folks, IMHO.

The AJ220sce is a pretty nice bigger body guitar, cutaway. Solid spruce top, lam hog sides and back. Plays nice if you like a large body guitar. Works well enough acoustic and IMHO better as an AE. More typically a AJ round shoulder sound than a square shoulder type, but IMHO some of that is how one plays.

Down a bit are two nice mid-size six-strings. The 25 1/2 scale PR5e is relatively quiet with all lam construction, but a nice shape for my playing regardless of the longer scale than I'd prefer. Marvelous for fingerpicking and played through an amp or board. In fact, I wear 9-42 strings on it because I consider it my fingerpicker guitar, DR Zebra AE strings, and some Brit video folks who've done music vids said it sounded excellent through a small PA board.

Then there's the EL-00 pro. Solid top, short scale. A different feeling shape compared to either of the above. Could be a strummer or fingerpicker.

The AJ is more expensive in the us at least. The other two are very different instruments, $100 US less money than the other two.

Some folks have other preferences; the Masterbuilts are better in ways, but to me each guitar "type" has a different sort of purpose and feel. Some prefer, btw, the non-cutaway Texan at about the same price point.

m

You have a lot of options for 300 euros.

Check Thomann for their current pricing for Masterbilt line. Their cutaways are easy to find. If used is an option you can definitely find one in your price range. You'll get an all solid instrument that you'll like as much as your Taylor.

If you can live without a cutaway then pick up a Texan...they are wonderful solid top and back (lam sides) instruments that fall within your budget new.

If you dig really big guitars than the EJ200ce will fit your bill quite nicely as well. It's a cutaway, solid top instrument that gets great reviews.

Nick

Replacing a 800 series Taylor is going to be a tall order at the price point you mentioned. You are obviously, someone who appreciates a well made instrument. Masterbilt quality is going to give you the best bang-for-your-buck. Many here swear by the IB Texan as the "must have" Epiphone. My search would begin(but not limited to) these two.

Everyone is different and every guitar is different...good luck!

For £300 I would advise a Texan. Thomann only have them on order at the moment (they are reliable and the cheapest). Some UK retailers have them for £299. I bought one recently (advised by members of this forum over a period) they are very nice guitars.

If you wait until The Epi Masterbilt AJ45 is released (May?) I think Thomann in Germany have advertised it as slightly more expensive than your £300 budget (Around £349 - still a ton less than the likes of Dawsons etc) and only charge a tenner for delivery to the UK.

Otherwise Milod's suggestion of the AJ220ce is a good one and they can be bought for around £150 - a great guitar for half your budget! If it's a non-cutaway the Epiphone Dove and Hummingbird pro are worth considering - both about £220 in Dawsons and both with pickups installed. I've played both and they're nice for the money [thumbup]

Straight acoustic or acoustic-electric?

I'm figuring £300 is about $450. As mentioned, that opens up a lot of choices. You can get a used all-solid-wood Masterbilt in excellent condition for that (or less). Or a new IB 64 Texan. Or any of the other models already mentioned. You have an embarras de choix!

Thanks for the hints chaps :)

Replacing the 810ce will indeed be a hard task, but in honesty, the only reason I got that particular model was the absolute bargain price I got it for (I sold it for more than I paid, to fund my honeymoon).

The Texan does indeed look like a well rounded package for the money, and the reviews are indeed favourable, so will go to try one out, and check out the Masterbilt line as well, time permitting, funds may allow for one [thumbup]

Thanks for the hints chaps :)

Replacing the 810ce will indeed be a hard task, but in honesty, the only reason I got that particular model was the absolute bargain price I got it for (I sold it for more than I paid, to fund my honeymoon).

The Texan does indeed look like a well rounded package for the money, and the reviews are indeed favourable, so will go to try one out, and check out the Masterbilt line as well, time permitting, funds may allow for one [thumbup]

Let us know what you think after you decide and buy!

One more thing...if you elect to go the cheapest solid top route and choose the excellent AJ-220S, just be prepared for a bit of extra money needing to be spent on a proper set up and possibly even a full fret dressing (mine required both, but now plays, feels and sounds just wonderful).

Evening all :)

The time is almost right for me to get another acoustic to replace my dearly departed Taylor 810ce. I'd be looking to spend no more than £300, and am looking for guidance as to decent Epi models. Dreadnought sized, ideally cut away (but not critical). I prefer brighter tones over bass heavy.

What say you fine people?

[thumbup]

I picked up an EJ200sce used and spent $40 to set it up (saddle, nut) and it plays great especially plugged in. Not a lot of money for a great price.Then I found an ebay deal on a Masterbilt DR500mce and had it set up and put Elixir lights on it.A great sound with excellent sustain and all for less than $600 Canadian.It's a real sleeper!If you can live w/ one less prestige headstock- name there are ways to enjoy strumming very affordably.

Let us know what you think after you decide and buy!

Sure will buddy [thumbup]

I picked up an EJ200sce used and spent $40 to set it up (saddle, nut) and it plays great especially plugged in. Not a lot of money for a great price.Then I found an ebay deal on a Masterbilt DR500mce and had it set up and put Elixir lights on it.A great sound with excellent sustain and all for less than $600 Canadian.It's a real sleeper!If you can live w/ one less prestige headstock- name there are ways to enjoy strumming very affordably.

I could quite happily play anything, provided it sounds and feels right, I don't care what name is on the 'stock or where it was made, a good guitar is a good guitar :)

I've owned guitars from Japan, Korea, Mexico and the USA, and each had it's merits and downsides, so picking up an Epi is no problem, certainly not a less prestigious name at all imho. Good enough for Lennon et al, good enough for me :D

One more thing...if you elect to go the cheapest solid top route and choose the excellent AJ-220S, just be prepared for a bit of extra money needing to be spent on a proper set up and possibly even a full fret dressing (mine required both, but now plays, feels and sounds just wonderful).

I bought one direct from Thomann in Germany and it was perfect right out of the box - after about 2 years constant playing it sounded almost as good as a high end guitar - I dropped it and bust the neck [sad]

If you have sellers of USED Epiphones in your area, you will be spoiled for choice.

I just sold a Texan yesterday because I found a Masterbilt DR500R for dirt cheap, and I already have another Masterbilt and love it. My only working acoustics are both Epiphones - The Masterbilt I have now, an AJ500, is a gem, as is my EL00 acoustic. The other Masterbilt DR500 won't be here till next week.

I doubt you could find a substantially better sounding or playing guitar for 3 times the new price for the Texan, Masterbilt or the EL00.

Archived