Gibson Brands Forums

On the ES339 P90 Pro Bandwagon

MichaelDH

Played this last weekend and really liked it, went back to GC last night, and with a trade in plus their 15% off deal going on, got this out the door for under $200.00. Not the best pictures, but the natural finish just looks fantastic.

20150324_192414_zps6adqkcbi.jpg

20150324_192424_zpscpgej63a.jpg

20150324_192541_zpsg0hslwpa.jpg

msp_smile.gif

What, may I ask, did you "trade in" for it ? Another guitar? 200 bucks...that's really quite a bargain for such a great instrument such as that. You know I have the humbucker pro version, I wonder now what and how much of a tonal variation there is, in that particular guitar, between the two different pickup types (pro P90 and pro humbuckers)...msp_confused.gif Those "natural" 339's do look, and "play" great...well, the ones I've tried do...seems to me like everyone that's picked one up, has gone home with the thingmsp_biggrin.gif

Played this last weekend and really liked it, went back to GC last night, and with a trade in plus their 15% off deal going on, got this out the door for under $200.00. Not the best pictures, but the natural finish just looks fantastic.

20150324_192414_zps6adqkcbi.jpg

20150324_192424_zpscpgej63a.jpg

20150324_192541_zpsg0hslwpa.jpg

Well done, Sir! You folks are giving me gas, again!

Play well,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club. [thumbup] I am guilty of spreading the G.A.S.on this one as well. [smile]

Oh yes you are, you naughty boy...

That natural looks beautiful.

Having just picked up that Nick Valensi Riviera P94, I'm probably safe from the 339 for at least a few days...

• 2 months later...

I got sucked in, too lol. Saw the GC ad for cherry 339s at $339 so I went to the store to check one out. They had one in natural priced at $469, which is odd, as the website price is $399.

Anyway, plugged it into a deluxe reverb and was simply floored. My number one is a custom walnut semi with Duncan Antiquity dogears, so I honestly wasn't expecting to be impressed. But I figured at that price, it could make a nice beater.

Wow. That thing impressed the heck out of me. The Pro pickups are voiced differently than the Duncans with a much smoother sound. I couldn't believe I was playing a $400 guitar.

Anyway, I didn't care for the natural so I just ordered the pelham blue online. Should be here next week.

I bought the ES339 Pro with the humbuckers to specifically get that sound, and I love it. However the ES339 P90 Pro has been lingering in the back of my mind. I love P90s and the 339 platform is a very good guitar. The GAS remains simmering away!:)

Either the "natural" or "transparent red", gorgeous instruments.

I got sucked in, too lol. Saw the GC ad for cherry 339s at $339 so I went to the store to check one out. They had one in natural priced at $469, which is odd, as the website price is $399.

Anyway, plugged it into a deluxe reverb and was simply floored. My number one is a custom walnut semi with Duncan Antiquity dogears, so I honestly wasn't expecting to be impressed. But I figured at that price, it could make a nice beater.

Wow. That thing impressed the heck out of me. The Pro pickups are voiced differently than the Duncans with a much smoother sound. I couldn't believe I was playing a $400 guitar.

Anyway, I didn't care for the natural so I just ordered the pelham blue online. Should be here next week.

That blue looks nice, so does the black. I think I need this.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Ltd-Ed-ES-339-P90-PRO.aspx

I'm comparing this to my last $400 epiphone...an Alley Kat from 08 or so. There's no comparison between the two. From the better hardware and pickups to the thinner finish and better setup, this guitar is head and shoulders above the old Kat.

Last night, I had the tools out ready to dig in for a major setup but in the end all I did was adjust the pickup height and pole screw adjustments. Intonation was on, action is fine, neck relief ok, nut is smooth and not too high.

Apart from a little finish goop inside an F hole and some buffing compound left on the fretboard, I can't find any major faults.

Archived