Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II serial number (again...)

jaleonard

Hi all, I'm new to the forum having just recently bought a Sheraton II lefty VS - generally very pleased with it and already happy with my decision.

I know the serial number threads has been done to death, but I have one that doesn't seem to match any of the classifications.....at least I could do with some

knowledge on it; I'm new to Epiphone and archtops as well so will probably spend some time on this very forum mining the knowledge on here.

Anyhow, the serial number is either;

1(one)07001266 or,

I07001266

My first question being, is that a 1 or an I? The label calls the guitar a Sheration II (as in WWII, doubleya doubleya eye eye), so when the numbers didn't

show anything up I went down that route, but even using that method the numbers don't follow the standard YYMMFFPPPP.

Where I am at with it is that the current Chinese models coming out of China (which I'm pretty sure it was made)might have reverted to the old Gibson sequencing; to my

understanding this was (is?) YDDDYBBBB (B being, lets say, Batch). This puts my guitar at the 70th day of the year 2010, unit number 1266, (the 7th day would be 007 I presume, which could actually be quite cool to have a secret

agent Epi, however, I digress). So, is this possible? I can't make any other combo work. A fake? It is Gibsons factory apparently so it could make sense they revert to their own sequence? Just a theory. Does anyone else have similar numbering out there? Cheers.

What color is the label orange or brown? Sounds like you got Korean model. Is the serial on the label or stamped on the headstock?

I've sent the details to customer service, but here is a pic of the label. No stamp on the headstock, but what looks like an outline of a removed sticker; and then

the label inside the main body. I'm just curious to trace the providence, although it won't effect the way it plays, which for me it is playing great.

Thanks for the reply.

post-71329-077992900 1427406644_thumb.jpg

post-71329-022207200 1427406656_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I'm new to all things Epiphone, but I suppose we've all been at the other end - the orange label suggests Korean and they are brown labels now, is that right?

I had got to the point of considering it Korean with the 'I' prefixed code and the 5 piece neck, but then had heard the Chinese models are being made with a 5

piece neck now so that muddied the waters again. Also, even with the letter prefix code the numbers don't neatly unfold a YYMMFF, with the month showing at 00.

I'm still scratching my head, and am looking forward to what the service center comes back with. Some more pics....

post-71329-023683400 1427416273_thumb.jpg

post-71329-006351300 1427416291_thumb.jpg

Also, even with the letter prefix code the numbers don't neatly unfold a YYMMFF, with the month showing at 00.... I'm still scratching my head....

Yes, that "00" in the month position makes the epi dater come back "unrecognized." But if you change that to "01", then it's recognizable as made in Saein Plant, Korea/China, "January" 2007. They add that a new Saein factory was opened in Gaomi City, China in 2001, where I'm betting your Sherry was made in '07. (The central Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is apparently still located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea.)

There's either a reason they used a 00 month (like, they were made at the end of 06, but they were slated for 07? Or maybe something to do with its leftiness?) or somebody set up the serial number printer wrong or some other "accident." Whatever, I'd say that makes it a 'special' guitar. [biggrin] And it looks it!

Yep, probably the strongest clue yet Cougar, thanks- I had considered that the 00 was some type of start to end of year anomaly

or a slip of the old finger on the typewriter. I feel 'special' enough being branded left handed and having to scour the world for a decent guitar

without now having a 'special'guitar [biggrin] No, it is a lovely thing and hey a 00 model, licence to kill.(I'll need to practice some more, just a hobbyist for now)

This from Gibson Monday morning (30th/03)(it has taken me this long to get to it after celebrating Australia's cricket world cup win ;)

"Thanks for sending the pictures. The serial number is “I07001266”. The pictures and serial number are consistent with a left hand Epiphone Sheraton II model in Vintage Sunburst finish, made in Korea in 2007. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!!"

So, confirming what the trail had started to lead to, and very quick reply from customer service. Thanks to those who posted, although I am still slightly puzzled by the 00 in the month position and suspect that is going to niggle away at me until I can trace the answer to that. Cheers.

Archived