Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone compare the Fuller's Gibson reissues to private builds or boutique?

magictwanger

I have one of those, too. Fantastic guitar.

I would imagine some might subjectively prefer the tone or feel of a boutique-built guitar (or even a less-expensive one) to the Fuller's, but I don't think one could find any quantitative superiority in build or finish.

Red 333

I would try if possible.

I had a 2001 Keb Mo type, 12 fretter, L-0 Fuller that was incredible sounding but unfortunately the neck angle warped with time, weather or/and tension.

This is my only Fuller, experience, and I wouldn't think this was common. Had luthier work on it sold it for a loss.

Have the seller put a straight edge on the fretboard and see where the bridge is.

if it is up in the white. Forget about it. It should be close to the top of the rosewood bridge.

Again this is just an occurrence that can happen to any builder. Good luck.

I have been hankering for a Fuller's for quite a while. I was very disappointed to find out they have in essence stopped making them, and I don't see them coming back. I am very interested in either a J-35 or - since I already have the Historic Collection Original Jumbo which is a pretty sweet and quite similar instrument with the Hog/Adi Top combo - an Advanced Jumbo, one of the reasons I am lurking on this list. Beautiful, beautiful guitars by Fullers.

Good guitars,no doubt about it. With a Walker, Kopp or a Fairbansk, you are getting hand built, so you get that extra level of craft for your hard-earned. I've heard particualr good things of fairbanks. But the Fuller Gison's are mighty good. Here's some samples. Needs a better ear than mine to discen a great difference.

First link is MR Frank Fotusky on Bzeman J35 (not a Fullers, but you get the idea.

Next up,

J35 t

I have & do own Kopp,Walker & Fairbanks - all fine guitars: count me a fan of all 3 builders.

The one Bozeman Gibson that I've owned that was clearly in their league tonally was my FVG J35.

I don't think it gets any better.

I have & do own Kopp,Walker & Fairbanks - all fine guitars: count me a fan of all 3 builders.

The one Bozeman Gibson that I've owned that was clearly in their league tonally was my FVG J35.

I don't think it gets any better.

My FVG 1943 SJ is a superb guitar that stacks up well against anything I've seen or played in a slope-J format.

I am very happy with my FVG '39 J-35...I was simply curious as to how some other folks felt..."Red",I knew you had this model and it was your older posts that got me interested in the first place.

I've played 2 Kopps and 2 Flamming J-35's as well as some vintage J-45's...Liked them a lot,but that was a while ago,hence my question about "today's" builds...When Fullers sent me my Gibson '39 J-35 I was given a week to see if I liked it.It took me 2 minutes to decide to keep it.

Last spring I played an original '36 J-35...Considering it was being offered for $10,000,from a well known dealer,I thought it was a terrible example,because it sounded like the old milk crates I used to make go-carts out of as a kid.

Archived