Gibson Brands Forums

Sniffin' Glue

fromnabulax

I know I can't be the only guitar fetishist here on the board who simply can't wait to crack the packaging on a new guitar to snag that first whiff of ecstasy producing aroma of new guitar.

The woods combined with that awesome glue can be enough to induce palpitations and an out of body experience of the most extraordinary sensory sort.

Some believe it's the glue and adhesives mixed with new plastics used in the manufacture of the case. I will say that I had a custom case made for me at the world famous G&G case company in Los Angeles that required several visits to their fabulous factory, and while its awesome aroma was certainly intoxicating, it simply was not in the class of a new guitar.

That being said, here's my list of least to best of the oh so romantic aroma, in fact one might say heaven's 'scent' of that crazy and almost unbearably wonderful near aphrodisiac.

The very worst has got to be Ibanez. Honestly, opening their case with a brand new guitar is almost like taking a whiff at a horse stable. The old Japanese made guitars honestly did have a much more pleasant aroma than whatever glue they use in China.

Squier and midline offshore Fender. Really, just kind of bland. No real oomph of any sort, positive, or negative.

Somewhere in here are several other nice ones, not great but still quite desirable. D'Angelicos, Takamines, Gold Tone, most Asian, and all lovely.

Starting to move up the list to the Spanish made...

Cordoba. Now we're getting somewhere. I only own a couple of their Spanish made nylons so I can't judge their Asian counterparts, but these babies are a delight. Fresh, woody, and refreshing, like a breath of Castilian air.

The Asian Epis are next up on the list. I've got a few Indonesian as well as Chinese and Korean Epis. Acoustic, and electric. Somehow they all have the same wonderful aroma. Like different women all sharing the same perfume, alluring, lovely and waiting to be carressed.

Here come the US made Fenders. This is the real deal. Teles, Strats, Jazzmasters, and Jaguars. Pop the brand new case and you're transported into a land of unicorns and cherubim. These pretty near the top of the heap for sniffability.

Next up is the US Gibson electrics. I catch a contact buzz just thinking about these. The Nashville cats will make my head swim, but oh those Memphis mamas simply make me swoon. Even their names, arch top, hollow body, just grab a hold of a brand new ES 175 and see if the words Mississippi Queen don't come tip toeing into your soul. Mmm, mmm GOOD!

Ahhh, but there are the Bozeman babes. Nestled up there miles away from the hustle and bustle of Tennessee and Mississippi, these babes are a breed apart. Sequestered like vestal virgins amidst the various mountain ranges of Montana, these honeys are massaged and sweetly shaped the old fashioned way, with tender loving care. Pop the case on one of these and man, instant romance with a scent of the wild and wooly great outdoors. Do however, handle her with care.

And here then the very top of my last. It can be mahogany, or spruce, or rosewood, or ebony. it matters not, the very most aromatic and immediately desirable simply has to be that east coast lady known as the Martin. Grab her gently from behind, sidle up to her lower bout and take the merest sniff off that neck while gently cradling her tender and perfectly sculpted head. This is the one worth walking the desert and sailing the oceans for. This is the scent that drives men wild. This is the real deal. Oh my gosh, just thinking about her makes my fingers itch to gently pluck upon her every string. I don't know just what they've got going down there in old Nazareth, but if they could bottle the stuff I would use it as an after shave.

Man, just talking about this stuff induces a lot of intense feelings, not the very least of which is GAS.

That's it for me, I must go and play now!

I bought an Epi case for my Epi Thunderbird bass....

That case stunk like some kind of chemical....I don't remember now what the smell was...at the time I recognized it.....

Had to let it air out for a few days...... [biggrin]

There's a lot of glues used in the manufacturing of both the guitar and the case. It's a wonder we're not all closet glue sniffers!

I've been surfing since I was 8y/o and I know every time I go into the surfboard factory to pick up a new board that's been made for me, I just get a rush smelling the resin fumes. Love it! Same thing.

[rolleyes]

There's a lot of glues used in the manufacturing of both the guitar and the case. It's a wonder we're not all closet glue sniffers!

I've been surfing since I was 8y/o and I know every time I go into the surfboard factory to pick up a new board that's been made for me, I just get a rush smelling the resin fumes. Love it! Same thing.

[rolleyes]

I spent many years living in Santa Monica and Venice California and used to walk past the original Quicksilver workshop on my way to the beach several times each week. Others as well. There are very few aromas that will trigger an immediate sense memory to transport me to a specific time and place.

The ocean can do that.

The smell of rye bread baking.

Tear gas is another, and yes, foam and resin.

Archived