Gibson Brands Forums

Too Soon Gone

Rambler

One of the greats of all time....

IMO bridging many spaces in peoples' perception of rich and interesting music... [thumbup]

One of the first guitarists to explore the capabilities of steel strung acoustics

Playing classical, folk, blues and beyond with taste and virtuosity

V

:-({|=

"A J-50 man in his early days he was." Good catch ,EM7. Wasnt able to find a J50 clip. But he sounded teriffic on most anything: the ES-335 he used with Pentangle, his Guild D55, his Franklin and Brown OMs, even his old English artcop.

I caught him with Robin Wiliams back in the mid-90s, thanks to a friend who drug me out to see them. Marvelous, and one of my first exposures after a long lapse to a dedicated acosutic player. He had the Franklin OM by then (you can hear that set on their Wheel of Fortine set. Here's another Fav:

Apologies if I am pushing in.

I too grew up with that sound in my ears. John Renbourn was important to me and I always considered him one of the absolute top guys.

Before I saw this I wrote a tribute in another thread on the Forum -

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/120816-john-renbourn-founder-of-pentangle-has-passed-away/

They really do not make them like that these days.

Apologies if I am pushing in.
Not at all. and this from your post is right on the mark:

"This stuff - complex rearrangements of centuries-old music - had not been done this way before on acoustic guitars" His range was amazing--classic American blues, Celtic airs, medieval (as noted), hymns, jazz, R&B (sweet potato), originals. Unclassifiable. Unless you have a class for "good music."

Em , you'll love this

Yea it makes the fool I am dream -

Check Renbourn from the eleventh minute - in this phase with ceramic saddle.

A good example of how that feature sounds good, and though slightly otherly coloured, still very gibsonesq

The charming lads in the opening could need a hookah, , , hehah he, ,

if I'm not too far off such device soon passed their way. .

Archived