Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pros

Sgt.

Burstbucker Pros are a mismatched set with the bridge being abit overwound, correct? IS THIS AT THE ROOT OF THAT ANNOYING HUM I CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE??? BB pros are just hot pickups? Live with the noise?

Burstbucker Pros are a mismatched set with the bridge being abit overwound, correct? IS THIS AT THE ROOT OF THAT ANNOYING HUM I CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE??? BB pros are just hot pickups? Live with the noise?

I'm no expert but for a few weeks I had a '09 Les Paul Studio faded with BB Pros in it. Through my tube amp ('Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb) cranked up to 7 on the volume and with my Bluesdriver notched up pretty well too, I was surprised at how quiet my pups were. HOWEVER- I've been playing single coils for over 40 years. I had to learn to put up with the HUM to enjoy the tone I desired. So what is quiet for me may not be for you...

I'm sure some more experienced BB Pro owners will chime in. Meanwhile...hang in there! These things can be grustrating...

Brian

When they say "mismatched" they're referring to the indivual coils within the pickup. For example, a 57 Classic has two coils that are wound the same. The Burstbucker pickups are meant to duplicate the PAF's, which were very inconsistent due to the winding techniques used at the time. The thing is, the more you mismatch the coils (the hotter one coil gets compared to the other), the less hum cancelling you get. You may have just gotten a set that was a little Too mismatched.

-Ryan

The coil mismatch is not the cause of your noise. You can mismatch coils by about 30% befor you start to loose the hum canceling ability. I suspect it's something in the house wiring or something in your signal chain.

I know what p90 hum sounds like and it's not that bad, much less but it's along those lines and I expected any humbucker to be quiet (my Ibanez med. output buckers are dead silent, but the caps and wiring are different in that guitar). Not going to reiterate every detail with this discussion as it's been combed through before looking for a problem I can fix. If I knew what it was I'd fix it! Not disatisfied with BB Pros ... they sound real good.

I know what p90 hum sounds like and it's not that bad, much less but it's along those lines and I expected any humbucker to be quiet (my Ibanez med. output buckers are dead silent, but the caps and wiring are different in that guitar). Not going to reiterate every detail with this discussion as it's been combed through before looking for a problem I can fix. If I knew what it was I'd fix it! Not disatisfied with BB Pros ... they sound real good.

Does the hum get worse when you take your hands off the strings?

800px-Cheater_plug_edited.jpg

rct

I recognize the recommendation has nothing but good intent, but (mis) using one of these in an electric guitar/amp path presents a DANGEROUS safety hazard.

Perhaps to quickly troubleshoot, NEVER as a solution - unless you're willing to risk using your body to close an open circuit.

...There is somewhere on here a long deep thread in which an engineer sings the praises of basically cutting off the grounds....

And went on and on and on and on and on and on until it was pointed out that their 'engineer' knew 5hit.

Hum's not from p'ups (as everyone else has already said).

P.

Archived