Gibson Brands Forums

Why les paul sig and hologram on everything

bongofury

Is it me ... But why does Gibson think we all whant a hologram or sig of les paul on everything .. Nothing against him . But

I don't want him on my sg he didn't even like the sg.. And on every other guitar?

What are they thinking.. Sales must be low on 2015???

What do you think?

Bongo

They've got to get rid of them quick (so they can go back to the good way) so they're throwing them on everything in site. Probably got them as bumper stickers as well in the employees carpark.

It's not his 100th birthday this year mate, he's dead.

I agree with this.

Les Paul's legacy leaves on but not through a sticker/hologram

Gibson has the freaking cheesiest ways to celebrate anniversaries, it's like getting your woman a bowling ball for a present.

I still look at the waterslide on the front of the headstock of my SG 50th anniversary and wonder who the hell designs this stuff.

Guest Farnsbarns

Right, I dislike the sticker but I could live with it if I wanted a 2015 les paul. I suppose I can see some sense in it being on an SG although it's a bit weird. Putting it on any other model is bloody stupid and it WOULD put me off buying a guitar. It's fugly, add irrelevance and it's a step too far.

I'm beginning to wonder who put shrooms in the water at gibson towards the end of last year. Maybe it's some kind of mass insanity. Who knows. I'm no Gibson basher but I just can't ignore this stuff without comment any more.

I've even wondered if Henry is trying to damage the company deliberately in order that his plight can be used against the current lot in the next election. Seems like a less insane explanation than believing that someone thinks these are good ideas.

I think it's an attempt to honor Les on his 100th birthday. It's hard for me to believe that people actually have an issue with the hologram. It's not like anyone can actually see it.

I agree with Searcy! It's honoring Les Paul, The man who gave us great guitars and so much more. People complaining about the 100 signature and Hologram is just petty, Especialy the hologram. I get people complaining about the G Force tuners but if you don't like them take them off. I figure the wider necks would be the main issues people would have with the new 2015 design. The wider necks change the whole fill/playability of the guitar. I like the wider neck., although it took a few minutes to get use to it but that happens when you pick up a totally differant guitar than you are use to playing. Sorry I went off, but if you're going to complain about something be sure it's something relivent not a hologram sticker on the back of the headstock!

Have you been talking to my wife again? [blink]

Dude, seriously. Stuff that will get you thrown out of the bedroom.

I can picture that meeting at Gibson ~we need to find a way to celebrate what would have been Les Paul's 100th birthday~

- hey, let's add a hologram of Dr. Evil under the lacquer, let's keep it classy though, make sure he's waiving.

There are ways to adorn an anniversary guitar, a f***ing sticker or a pooorly designed logo is not one of them. Add a tasteful inlay for instance, but oh no that actually adds cost.

I bought my 50th anniversary SG despite that waterslide that I think is silly but Gibson can do better than this.

Yes, I am complaining, if you like these changes suit yourself and buy the hell out of these guitars, I ain't and I won't.

It looks like one of those 3D things you used to get out of the Rice Bubbles pack when you were a kid.

And then they go sticking that on the headstock of a $4000 musical instrument? Are we the only ones that see something wrong here?

Would you expect to see that stuck on the headstock of a Stradivarius violin?

Dude, seriously. Stuff that will get you thrown out of the bedroom.

I can picture that meeting at Gibson ~we need to find a way to celebrate what would have been Les Paul's 100th birthday~

- hey, let's add a hologram of Dr. Evil under the lacquer, let's keep it classy though, make sure he's waiving.

There are ways to adorn an anniversary guitar, a f***ing sticker or a pooorly designed logo is not one of them. Add a tasteful inlay for instance, but oh no that actually adds cost.

I bought my 50th anniversary SG despite that waterslide that I think is silly but Gibson can do better than this.

Yes, I am complaining, if you like these changes suit yourself and buy the hell out of these guitars, I ain't and I won't.

It's not that I particularly like the sticker or the autograph. It's just that I can't be bothered to reject a guitar purchase based on whether or not the proper script was used in the logo. The Les 100 logo doesn't look nearly as bad as the logo on the Dean Michael Schenker V.

doc_images-1607534223644.jpg

But I bought that too. It's just not important to me and while I respect that it IS important to others I don't think I can be expected to understand that.

How can a cheap cheesy sticker on a classy instrument be important? Where's the relevence in that? Surely they can come up with a better way to honour the poor bloke, he deserves that at least.

And the Dean headstock isn't too bad mate, that one I wouldn't worry about.

Would you expect to see that stuck on the headstock of a Stradivarius violin?

Ah, I see the cat's out of the bag. Henry IS planning on discontinuing them when Les Paul prices reach Stradivarius levels. Let me recheck my math here...yup, just as I suspected, that will be on the 2016 models...

I think that they've milked the whole Les Paul the man, the myth the legend thing about as far as they can.

The guitar was 99% designed when he inked the endorsement deal, when his popularity on the charts waned they wasted no time in giving him the boot. The final insult was sticking his name on the SG without his permission.

Les Paul studio monitors and headphones? Puh-leeze.

I know, it's just marketing and if it moves the product then it works but it's gotten to be a bit too much for me. The hologram is just goofy but at least it's stuck on the back.

I actually wanted one of the 2014s with the 120th Anniversary inlay.. I thought that looked pretty cool and was actually tasteful.. Well it certainly looks good compared to this years changes anyway :)

I actually wanted one of the 2014s with the 120th Anniversary inlay.. I thought that looked pretty cool and was actually tasteful.. Well it certainly looks good compared to this years changes anyway :)

There was a used 2014 Firebird at GC in white $899 wth case. Looked brand new with a very poor setup. Took a lot of restrain not to buy it since I already have one, the 12th fret inlay looked great.

Ah, I see the cat's out of the bag. Henry IS planning on discontinuing them when Les Paul prices reach Stradivarius levels. Let me recheck my math here...yup, just as I suspected, that will be on the 2016 models...

LOL! Yeah. He's got to pay for his grandios ideas somehow.

9 bills for a leftover Firebird? That's a deal.

The 2015 Firebird would make a good guitar if you're a slide player.

Just so I'm clear, is this silly hologram sticker on ALL of the Gibson USA models now? It wasn't on the 2015 Firebird that I played.

I agree with Searcy! It's honoring Les Paul, The man who gave us great guitars and so much more. People complaining about the 100 signature and Hologram is just petty, Especialy the hologram. I get people complaining about the G Force tuners but if you don't like them take them off. I figure the wider necks would be the main issues people would have with the new 2015 design. The wider necks change the whole fill/playability of the guitar. I like the wider neck., although it took a few minutes to get use to it but that happens when you pick up a totally differant guitar than you are use to playing. Sorry I went off, but if you're going to complain about something be sure it's something relivent not a hologram sticker on the back of the headstock!

Yes.. For me it was the neck that was the big deal breaker.. (or I may have had to sell something for one of those new Double Cuts)

As for the rest of it.. I kind of think the way of.. Anything that doesn't detract from the sound and playability just adds character :)

But I went in to a shop a few months back and picked up a 2015 Double Cut.. And instantly I was like NO Effin WAY man.... While im sure id get used to it or any guitar.. Its not what I want from a Gibson.. The main things I think a Gibson always had going for it was the sound and the playability... I don't understand at all why they messed with such a key feature of what makes Gibson so great...

Meh.. I cant afford any new guitars anyway and I have all the LPs I need or want... so whatever :) (id still like a 336 one of these days though :))

Archived