Gibson Brands Forums

Maxon OD820

Silvercrow

Hi all! I'm still fooling around with OD pedals that will work well with my SG (490 R/T humbuckers). My Bluesdriver just doesn't have what I'm looking for...I don't think so anyway. I like a lighter distortion, some crunch; definately needs to be transparent. I'm not at all into metal, etc.

I got a Fulltone FB3 that I'm loving and I'm reading all over the place that coupled with the right OD pedal you can achieve nirvana (LOL).

So I'm looking at, among others, the Maxon OD820. Sound clips, for what they are worth, are great. The price is just over what I'd like to spend, but if it does the trick...

Anyone with experience with this pedal and similar pups to mine- please comment. Also if you have suggestions for an alternative to the 820...I'm all ears (pun intended).

I'm running through a tube amp- '68 Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb.

Thanks so much!!

Brian

You've got beautiful iconic pups there, and your running them through a tube amp...excellent.

That means only one pedal will finish complimenting this trio....the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer.

Perfect.

Hello Brian!

Maxon did produce Ibanez effects and still does. So, any Tube Screamer would be a good alternative, especially the Turbo Tube Screamer.

But, if You want to go with the more expensive Maxon units, rather than the re-branded to Ibanez units, grab big: http://www.maxonfx.com/nine-series-effects-pedals/tbo-9-true-tube-booster-overdrive

pic-nine-tbo9-320px.jpg

Cheers... Bence

how much $ are you looking to invest?

the Barber Burn Unit is a long time favorite of mine. I've had this pedal for, what, can it really be... over 15 years now. It's reliable, built like a tank and has a lot of "Range" in how much "BURN" you want/need. True Bypass and two channels. a good sounding OD pedal. http://www.barberelectronics.com/burnunit.html

I also have a Blackstar HT-Dual. Another dual channel Over drive, channel 1 you can set to "CLEAN" where it doesn't get too gritty at all, or just normal over drive you can get a good "crunch", excellent blues tone, and for that "edge" tones where you still want articulation but the tone needs some grind.

The second channel, you may not be into, but you can dial in what ever you want, however, it can get quite extreme. I find setting the Gain to around 12 o'clock on ch2 is MORE than enough for the stuff I use it for (classic rock and originals). but it's touchy, you have to spend a little bit of effort to dial it in for what you're looking for It responds VERY well to your guitars volume control and your attack. https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-dual/

Thanks guys! Lots of food for thought. I'll try to respond as well as I can w/out taking up bandwidth by quoting.

KidBlast- My $ limit is 200.00 Not more than 225.00 (LOL-where DO I stop??)

I've heard of the Barber Burn units- I'll be looking at them too.

I did not know Maxon originated the 808...thanks for that info.!

Thanks Bence for both posts- the Russian ultimate weapon requires a degree in electronics to use? LOL- I've owned two Mesa amps and sold them both because they had too many knobs/options and I am not a knob twiddler- I'm more "set-it / forget-it / use the volume on the guitar to ultimately increase drive for solos." type of guy.

I'm looking into the nuances between the Maxon 808 and the 820.

Thanks "MP" and "JD"- JD I'm only familiar with xotic pedals by name. I'll be checking them out also.

I'm imagining a LARGE music store with all these various pedals in one place, an ISO room where you can bring your amp / guitar and try 'em all out. Hell, I'd pay a reasonable rent to do that. 'Course there'd be problems with that too...but closer than sound-clips on YouTube and more efficient that driving Musiician's Friend bonkers by buying and returning pedal after pedal...

Thanks all and feel free to keep it coming. I really don't need a heavier OD and have never really "cascaded" one pedal into another- again probably more gain than I need. I'm more into tone "shaping" than "types" of distortion.

Brian

The burn unit should be close to the price range you are trying to stay inside.

the HT-Dual is I think $250 at MF but I noticed GC was having a sale, ($149? Great price!)

Have you also looked at the Fulltone OCD? I don't have one, but a few reviews and some UToob demos seemed promising.

it's really a daunting chore these days, there are a ba-zillion pedals available, all of them, if you believe the write ups -- will bring you to tone's promised land!!

(I actually think with your amp set at around 7/8, you're already there! Your family and neighbrs might not agree... But then again, what is the harm of MORE TOYS-- after all the one who dies with the most wins!)

You've got beautiful iconic pups there, and your running them through a tube amp...excellent.

That means only one pedal will finish complimenting this trio....the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer.

Perfect.

And again, if you DON'T have one of these, you might as well get one.

Cause if you can't get it done with a tube screamer, then you can't get it done.

Will add (again), Ibanez tube screamers are the TS-808, TS-9, TS-7. All sound pretty darned close to one another. Splitting hairs close.

TS-10, and the SOUNDTANK series are also good, but do sound a little different.

And again, I'll say, there are LOTS of clones out there, some better some worse. But the old standby Tube Screamer does the same thing as the clones of them, sounds just as good, and can be had cheap.

I did not know Maxon originated the 808...thanks for that info.!

Brian

For Japanese companies, it is more common than not to have a company make the stuff you sell. In the case of Ibanez pedals, MAXON is that company. They also designed them.

So basically, a pedal branded Ibanez and one branded Maxon are often the same pedal. The infamous "Tube Screamer", as introduced to the world is in this category.

When Ibanez stopped having Maxon do thier pedals for a time in the late 80's early 90's, MAXON kept making them, so we got the same pedals, only they were branded Maxon instead of Ibanez.

BOTH Ibanez and Maxon now make the "Tube Screamer" in it's "original" form. They both also make variations. That is in addition to all those who make pedals based on the same design. Everyone and their brother makes a "Tube Screamer", or uses the same design, and different degrees of changes or tweaks.

So, basically, what everyone is suggesting...

GET A TUBE SCREAMER!

You can go "boutique" and get a so-called "improved/modified" version for 200-bucks on up, by a "vintage" 80's origonal for 300-600 bucks, buy a NEW one for 100-200 bucks, OR...

Buy a used one for about 40 bucks or so.

Then, play with it, try it, use it, listen to it. THEN spend more if you have to. But at least you will know where you stand tonally, both in experience in what they sound like, what they can and can't do, what you would use it for, as well as what DIRECTION you might go from there if you choose to.

So, basically, what everyone is suggesting...

GET A TUBE SCREAMER!

You can go "boutique" and get a so-called "improved/modified" version for 200-bucks on up, by a "vintage" 80's origonal for 300-600 bucks, buy a NEW one for 100-200 bucks, OR...

Buy a used one for about 40 bucks or so.

Then, play with it, try it, use it, listen to it. THEN spend more if you have to. But at least you will know where you stand tonally, both in experience in what they sound like, what they can and can't do, what you would use it for, as well as what DIRECTION you might go from there if you choose to.

So Stein...do you think I should get a TubeSCREAMER??? Alright! UNCLE!!! I'll try the darned Tubescreamer!!!!!

Seriously- great wide=spread endorsement. Like my missing the Gibson thing for decades...I done missed the Tubescreamer thing too. I'm looking for a used one stating tonight! I WILL report back!

THAKS GUYS. Tubescreamer...

Brian

(my God...what have I started?....lol!)

WIFE: "ANOTHER pedal? Brian...!

ME: "The guys were....screaming at me! I started seeing tubscreamers where ever I looked. Guys from all over the WORLD were telling me I NEED one..."

WIFE: "From all over the world, huh?"

ME: "Hon...I'm TELLIN' Ya!"

I love you guys...

Brian

HAHA! Too funny..

Brian, we're there for ya man,, anything we can do to keep your spare cash flow heading towards gear!

how ya fixed for delay pedals?

:D/

/ray

RAY! This is a little scarey! I've never used a delay but I'm hearing and talking with a local player I respect. Very subtle but apparent when he switches back and forth in a recent demo for me; delay vs. no delay.. (His pedal board should have it's own zip code- I often tease him about looing alike a tap dancer when he's playing- all in good fun). He has a Maxon Carbon Copy, I think is the model. He swears by it! ALL the Maxon pedals I've seen so far are built very well...

So yeah- thanks for helping me lighten my monetary burden! But one thing at a time...trying to find a used Maxon 808. Do you, or anyone, know what years the Ibanez Co. used Maxon to make their pedals?

Thanks again...

Brian

You can google and find out WAY more than you want to know.

I think good ones to look for, are the "reissue" Ibanez TS-9's that were made for a long time, like from the early 90's until now.

About 6 years ago, Ibanez took over making them from Maxon. A simple look in the battery cover will tell you, as Maxon made ones say Maxon, and Ibanez made ones say Ibanez.

The reissue TS-9's can be had used for cheap. Not sure how cheap, but I'm thinking 40 bucks. Which basically, is why I say it's good to look for and have.

There really isn't that much difference between the reissues, and the "origonals" made in the 80's everyone goes nuts for.

Archived